Count number of zeros in a binary number using adders

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by tvc22, Nov 18, 2014.

1. tvc22

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 18, 2014
    I have a question on counting the number of occurrences of zero in a 6 bit binary number using solely half and full adders.
    My original solution had 2 FA that each sum 3 bits, with inverters stuck to the outputs which then feed into a HA and a FA which produce a 3 bit number. The inverters switch the adders from producing the number of ones in a number to the number of zeros. However I am not allowed to use inverters and was suggested to create an inverter out of HAs or FAs.
    Any help or clarification on how I could go about this problem is greatly appreciated.

2. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    To use adders as logic gates seems pretty dumb. Just remember that the sum output of a half adder is an XOR. And XOR will invert the 'A' input of the 'B' input is a 1.

3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    In any kind of a practical situation, I agree. The point of an exercise like this is to learn to be creative in taking one logic function and using it for other purposes, so I don't think it is an unreasonable academic exercise.

There are a couple of ways to do it. You can do what I think you have in mind, which is invert all the bits in the original vector, or you can remember that an adder can be used to do subtraction very easily. I think, with a vector this small, that you will use few blocks inverting the bits up front. But this will not scale well and for a longer vector you will save blocks by performing the subtraction.

4. tvc22

Nov 18, 2014
    Thanks Joeyd999, I wasn't really thinking about the XOR part of a half adder. I ended up using 8 different units, however I'm not so sure if that is the least number of units I can use.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I'm not seeing how you are doing it with eight units. If you had said seven, I would have suspected you were using two FA to get two 2-bit numbers and then using a HA/FA to add these to get a 3-bit number that is the number of ones. After that, I would have suspected you are using three HA as inverters, but this won't work.

The most straight forward way I can see would require ten, with two different ways to do it. One way would use 7 HA and 3 FA and the other would use 4 HA and 6 FA.

6. tvc22

Nov 18, 2014
    I basically took the inverters of my original design out and replaced them with HAs. I summed 1 and the output of Sum and Carry of each of the first 2 full adders. I only used the Sum output of the HAs because it uses the XOR function. I then take those outputs which are 2 two bit numbers and add them together to get a 3 bit number.
    Poorly Constructed diagram:
    5 4 3 2 1 0
    | | | | | |
    FA FA
    S C S C
    | | | |
    HA HA HA HA
    S S S S
    | | | |

FA<----Carry-----HA
    C S S
    | | |
    2 1 0

7. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    It would be better if you showed a schematic / logic diagram, even if it were something thrown together in Paint. But I figured out what you have in mind.

It turns out your design will work, but somewhat by coincidence. Can you show mathematically that your design will work? That would be a good exercise for you and might even get you some extra credit.