Could I get a live volunteer please? My "shoot/no shoot" simulator is broken.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Does the training manual have to say, "Don't kill little old ladys in a training scenario." before the LEO is expected to know that?
One would hope not. I'm saying that once the dust settles from this lawsuit, there will be more things the instructor must do during training sessions, that are totally unnecessary and were directly related to this incident.

One would think it's totally unnecessary to inspect the officer's weapon's used in the training exercise to ensure they were not loaded with live ammo.

Last edited:

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
One would think it's totally unnecessary to inspect the officer's weapon's used in the training exercise to ensure they were not loaded with live ammo.
I am not sure that I understand what you mean, so I may or may not be in agreement.

My opinion is that it is totally unnecessary to use real guns in training simulations, but if they are used, they should be fully inspected to ensure they are not loaded. As a former competitive shooter, I know how important it is for the range officer to verify that guns are unloaded before the shooter leaves the firing line. And the more confident a gun user is in his ability, the more careful he must be to ensure that confidence doesn't breed negligence. As others have said, this killing wasn't an accident; it was negligent homicide or worse.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I am not sure that I understand what you mean, so I may or may not be in agreement.
I think Joe meant there should be no need for anybody to have to double check the guy firing the gun. After all, he's a highly trained police officer who handles a pistol every day.:)

At least that's what the dead lady thought.:(

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I agree, however, when the dust settles from the lawsuit, there will be additional tastings and hopefully the offending officer is terminated with prejudice.