correction

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Unregistered, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Unregistered

Thread Starter Guest

in the web page http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_1/2.html which discusses "Active versus Passive Devices" the definition for Passive Devices is given:
    Components incapable of controlling current by means of another electrical signal are called passive devices.
    But,it should be,
    Components incapable of controlling current by themselves but can do so by means of another electrical signal are called passive devices

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I believe the first definition is correct. By the name. a passive device does not has any external means of controlling/affecting electrical signals applied to them.

If a control signal can be applied, then the device is no longer passive. Think of a resistor versus a transistor.

3. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

Almost all active devices exhibit some degree of non-linearity, as well. A diode, for instance, is capable of mixing (modulating) signals.

The status of a diode as an active device seems to be in taxonomic limbo. I'm comfy with it either way.. :)

eric

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Narrow definitions seem to have minefields attached. Perhaps we need a category of "really passive devices" and then "almost passive devices".

If you have the right devices in mind, the distinction is obvious. But how do you categorize carbon granules or quartz crystals? A simple dichotomy becomes confusing due to exceptions.

5. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
    So, we'll have "impassive devices", "passive devices", "lazy devices", "active devices", "hyperactive devices", and "bouncing-off-the-walls devices"?? ;)

--Rich

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Diodes can switch, they can oscillate under certain conditions (not all diodes, but some). A resistor, capacitor, and inductor sit there and passively react to their environment.

I wouldn't call a relay active, but it does some of the same things. I think the differentiation would be it is electromechanical, just like other devices are pneumatic.

Sounds like a transistor to me.

Related Forum Posts:
  1. sby64
    Replies:
    Views: