Core losses in transformers

imq

Joined Nov 20, 2014
Hi
I would like to know if there is a standard or calculation which gives the limits or confirms upto what limit core losses can be safe to operate in the operation I am talking about distribution transformers in the range of 25-2500 kVA

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Hi
I would like to know if there is a standard or calculation which gives the limits or confirms upto what limit core losses can be safe to operate in the operation I am talking about distribution transformers in the range of 25-2500 kVA
Core losses are fairly constant for a given primary voltage. The copper losses are more relevant to the losses under load. Perhaps you could clarify your question.

imq

Joined Nov 20, 2014
thanks for the reply
my question is related to core losses over and above the specified or design losses
suppose in a 500 kVA trafo 850 watts of core losses are specified, IEC allows 15% on this as tolerance for a transformer to be accepted or rejected when tested ie 977.5 watts
I know that the transformer can run in the network at higher losses than these and want to know what is the safe limit that this transformer can withstand over and above the design losses
is there any standard or calculation to confirm this

imq

Joined Nov 20, 2014
thanks for the reply
my question is related to core losses over and above the specified or design losses
suppose in a 500 kVA trafo 850 watts of core losses are specified, IEC allows 15% on this as tolerance for a transformer to be accepted or rejected when tested ie 977.5 watts
I know that the transformer can run in the network at higher losses than these and want to know what is the safe limit that this transformer can withstand over and above the design losses
is there any standard or calculation to confirm this