cordless screwdriver for electronics

fyrewerk

Joined Nov 17, 2013
Been looking at cordless drivers for electronics, not drills just handheld drivers for removing and assy. of electronics and pc parts. anybody have some favorite ones to reccomend.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I wouldn't recommend power drivers for any equipment you care about. Too easy to cam out on phillips and pozidrive screws. A lot of my used equipment has screws with stripped heads; either from using power tools and/or the wrong bit.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I second that. I have been using a Makita 9.6 volt drill for about 25 years in my day job. The only time it touches electronic equipment is when I'm tearing it to shreds for scrap metal.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Post #4 and #5 show little 3 volt to 4 volt "screwdrivers". That's what they are labeled; screwdrivers.
Very different from a machine that can run a spade bit through a two by four or push a carbide drill into concrete. So different that I would never consider them for a construction site. You should never consider a construction site drill for fixing your Ipad!:eek:

ps, thanks for the education. :)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Have to disagree, every bench in the Motorola service shop I managed had an older version of this and the techs used them constantly.
I'd venture to say that most of the damaged screws in my equipment were caused by calibration techs who didn't give a rip about what they did. I have spent more time trying to back out screws with stripped heads than I'd care to think about...
I do understand you do not want to use your 14 volt electric drill but these will not strip screws if used properly.
And therein lies the rub. Used properly and with care... Wrench monkeys can strip screw heads with hand tools and sufficient carelessness/disregard...

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I use one similar to the Bosch model shown above but I have three guidelines I follow to stay out of trouble:

1. No driver bit smaller than a P1;

2. Stop short and complete by hand any self-tapping screw of #4 or smaller diameter;

3. Always return the torque adjustment to it's lowest setting when finished using.

Last edited:

Nykolas

Joined Aug 27, 2013
I have used 3 Skill "Twist" screwdrivers for close to 20 years. I replaced the 3 mini-C nicads with a 18650 Li-Ion and they work very well that way.
One thing needs mentioning: DIN standard Phillips screws have a different "V" angle than ISO standard screws. So, the right bit is important. The next time I'm in Europe I will scout for hex type Phillips bits! E

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Been looking at cordless drivers for electronics, not drills just handheld drivers for removing and assy. of electronics and pc parts. anybody have some favorite ones to reccomend.
Most electronic stuff I see has recessed screws - and most electric screwdrivers I've seen have short stubby bits.

I've pretty much resigned to keeping a good selection of long shaft screwdrivers and doing it the hard way.