copyright

tibbles

Joined Jun 27, 2008
thank you all for your replies, it seems a tricky one

"unless it's in the public domain"

that presumably would be dependant on interpretation ,does that mean anything thats on the internet (as long as it was originally obtained legally)?surely that would be a bit unfair to the publisher.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It's not either or. The AAC book is copy left, which is defined as the text belongs to someone, but permission to freely copy and distribute the work as long as credit is given as to where it came from. Basically you can copy to your hearts content, but you can't claim the work as your own. This is getting more and more common, primarily due to the internet.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
thank you all for your replies, it seems a tricky one

"unless it's in the public domain"

that presumably would be dependant on interpretation
Not really tricky. This is about the only simple aspect.

Copyright automatically resides with the originator. Period.

She does not have to do anything to receive copyright, except originate something copyrightable.

Some or all rights may be assigned to others, but the only person who can do this is the originator. No other party can do this.

The only proof positive of this assignment is a statement to this effect by the originator.

I think you would find it an insurmountable task to prove that the originator of anything you came across casually, on the internet or anywhere else, intended to assign any rights unless he specifically said so eg with a public use licence.

I did suggest this may be possible in certain circumstances if the originator sent them to you.

JamesG

Joined Apr 21, 2011
I guess the safest route would be to ask an ip attorney before using ideas from other sources. Or you could ask the original publisher for permission but I don't know the legal way to document that agreement. I've always wondered about the exact rules. I know some people report the source but is that 100% legal?