Copper Springs -

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bio88, Oct 6, 2011.

1. bio88

Thread Starter Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi - Looking for a source of small copper compression springs. I need copper so I can solder a wire to the spring. For prototyping the spring could come from a ball point pen. Any help appreciated -

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    You can solder iron/steel also. But it could be that your springs are covered/plated with some alloy that need to be filed/grind down before you solder. It could be that your spring is nickel plated
    Edit
    On second thought. I am not sure steel can be soldered with electronic solder. But I know for sure iron can be soldered with electronic solder. A problem may be to transfer enough heat from the solder iron to the spring. To get a proper solder

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You might inquire from this company:
    http://www.leespring.com/materials.asp

A blurb from the lower part of the page:
    The silver coated beryllium copper will be the easiest to solder to, and you will lose little in the way of conductivity over pure copper. Pure copper is a poor material to make springs from, as it is too soft.

Springs made from other materials will have poor conductivity, resulting in power dissipation/power loss in the spring.

You may find that it's easier to simply use a steel spring that presses on a small circle of copper with a flexible stranded or braided wire soldered to it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. bio88

Thread Starter Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Great info thanks guys -

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    The springs used in small electric motors for the brushes may work for you. Most times they are made of brass and conduct electric well and can be soldered. You don't say where your from, but, if you have a hobby/RC car shop in your area, they will have replacement motor brush assemblies to chose from.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Note, beryllium copper is safe, but if machine the metal the beryllium part is highly toxic. The dust will do permanent damage to your lungs, and possibly worse.

7. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
  8. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    The springs in better quality fuse holders are also an option.

9. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  10. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    They look like brass springs.

Note you can copper plate steel (copper can be done with something like copper sulfate and an acid, IIRC); then it's easier to solder to steel. Another way is to just use an acid core solder and make sure you clean off the flux thoroughly.

11. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    Just remembered seeing them, wouldn't think a pure copper spring would be too 'springy', and would tend to break easy. Personally, I'd scrounge something up around the house. Spring out of a retractable pen, probably. Depends on how many the OP is looking for, just figured this would be a potential source, if several are needed. I'm sort of looking for a springy solution for using cellphone/camera lithium batteries in other projects. Copper would be a poor choice, gold plated ideal. Sort of worked out an idea using pin headers, but didn't really line up well with the battery terminals, little longer would have been nice too. Did notice that the plastic spacer moves when heated, so might try again sometime.