Copper in a 350 HP motor

tbeaver

Joined Oct 4, 2009
Would anyone care to guess ( or if you know) about how much copper would be in a 350 horse power, 3 phase, 3100 pound motor? Even a ruff guess would be better then i have now. Thanks in advance.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Would anyone care to guess ( or if you know) about how much copper would be in a 350 horse power, 3 phase, 3100 pound motor? Even a ruff guess would be better then i have now. Thanks in advance.
Do you have access to the motor? If so, you can measure the phase resistance with an Ohm-meter. This measurement goes a long way in estimating the copper in the phase windings. In particular, with this measurement, you restrict the wire-gauge/wire length combinations that are possible. One can then estimate the wire gauge from the current level, which is estimated from the known power and voltage. Once you know wire gauge and wire length per phase, estimating the amount of copper is easy since the conductivity of copper is known. It is also helpful to provide some details of the motor type and dimensions of the motor, rotor and coils, since estimates of coil volume also help refine the estimate of copper weight, since the density of copper is known.

Note that large motors often have small values of phase resistance (< 1 Ohm), so be sure that the measurement technique is accurate.

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
I have a 1HP, 1PH, open frame motor & it looks like about 1/4 of the weight would be copper. Therefore scaling up to a 350HP motor would be 0.25 X 3100lbs = 775lbs... I guess.

775 X $3/lb = $2,325.oo

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I'd guess your best estimate might come from contacting a place that works on and rewinds motors. Lots of them to choose from in the phone book (assuming you're near a reasonably large city).

tbeaver

Joined Oct 4, 2009
Thanks guys. even a estimate of 400 to 775 helps. So i'll assume that a 270 HP older motor is going to be the same then?