copper and copper pour

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by vivek20055, Jan 19, 2013.

1. vivek20055

Thread Starter Member

Nov 4, 2012

I am designing a 4 layer pcb in PADS software.

Can anyone tell me the difference between copper and copper copper pour

I know that the plane area and copper are same

what is copper pour useful??

can anyone suggest me something about this?+

Thanks and regards
    Vivek Alaparthi
  2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Why are you starting a second post?
    Copper pour is use to create a solid power or ground plane which gives better noise performance.

I also reduces the amount of copper to be etched if you are etching the board yourself.
  3. chrisw1990

Oct 22, 2011
    copper pours are very good when creating power circuits, or in your case a 4 layer board..
    i dont know how much research you have done into 4 layer pcbs, typically the top and bottom (outside) layers are signal layers.. and the two internals are ground and power routing any power around.. typically:
    ________ < Signals, higher speed, e.g.: USB, route first no vias!
    ________ < GND, Gives immunity to the higher speed signals from potential noise
    ________ < Power, route your power tracks here.. power supplies galore!
    ________ < Signals, lower speed, UART SPI etc, digital traces.. analogue inputs potentially too..
    by putting the signals on the outside you can debug and correct your circuit in case you get it wrong!!! :p

In addition.. remember to use vias that pass through from one side to the other, blind and hidden vias increase cost exponentially as it requires special alignment and such..
    just read pdfs online, plenty of them, lots of advice on noise immunisation and 4layer routing.