Cooling a Water Cooler

lehigh375

Joined Aug 21, 2013
I have a water cooler installed in a cabinet and there is little if any air circulation. I would like to install, maybe an axial fan, in the rear of the cabinet to vent the heat build up. I would like it to run when the cooler runs and to be quiet. Can I connect a small fan to the circuitry of the water cooler to turn the fan on and off? I have looked at the Noctua A14 fan online but don't know if this will do what I want or how to connect it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

lehigh375

Joined Aug 21, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. Which kind would you recommend and can they purchased with an ordinary outlet plug and be mounted thru the wall?
Thanks.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Thanks for the suggestion. Which kind would you recommend and can they purchased with an ordinary outlet plug and be mounted thru the wall?
Thanks.
By through the wall, do you mean vented outdoors?
By ordinary plug do you mean 120v or 240v, as we don't know what country you're in we don't know what voltage you have.
You really should include this type of info in your first post.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Personally, I would do as THE_RB said, just get a low voltage fan, connect it to a wall wart (plug in transformer) and let it run constantly. Two reasons, 1 you don't have to tap into the water cooler circuitry, possibly burning something up. 2 if you cycle the fan, the stale air from under the house will find it's way into the water cooler cabinetry while the fan is off and that might be less than desirable..
Don't forget, if you pump the warm air out of the cabinet, you must let fresh air in to replace it. so if the cabinet is air tight a fan will be useless.

Last edited:

lehigh375

Joined Aug 21, 2013
Thanks gerty. I did not consider the possible back flow of air so running continuously sounds good. The cooler unit fits into a cabinet with virtually no clearance on the sides and top but it has no front so the fan should move the air. Can you suggest specific fans (size and brand) and wall warts? I would like it to be very quiet.