Cool Old Pachinko Machines needs PCB

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by emmadog, Feb 27, 2010.

1. emmadog

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hello,
    First off thanks to everyone who reads this and also I have to mention that my knowledge of things electronic extends to soldering wires maybe half a dozen times. Impressive I know. Also the title of this thread says "machines" but it should be singular. Ok, I collect and refurbish vintage pachinko machines (Japanese gambling machines). I have acquired one that is a little more complicated than the typical vintage units on eBay and much more interesting. Game play is as follows: A token is deposited and the player then shoots 16 balls onto the play field where they encounter various obstacles on their way down to 16 pockets. Corresponding numbers light up on a 4X4 matrix. Payout of tokens depends upon if a complete column, row, or the center four numbers are lit up. There is a little more to it than that but that is basically it. As far as components go there are about 35 or so bulbs, 6 micro switches, and about 5 solenoids. Also the machine was made in the mid 70's. Now the problem: It is missing it's two circuit/logic boards. My question is can new boards or micro controllers be made to replicate game play? I have all the rules of game play to design a solution whether that's a board, etc. I have been told by others that the best way would be to use micro controllers but I leave that to the experts on this forum. So does anyone know of a person or business that can find a resolution to this problem? I am fine with shipping the machine out as well as including some similar boards from the same manufacturer to be used as a reference. I can send many more pics and more information to this forum and anyone interested Again, thanks for any help and direction that you can provide. Regards, John.
    The pictures show the front of the machine, top rear of machine with cut wire bundles where boards were, a board from a similar machine that I have, coin dispenser mechanism, another board from a the same similar machine, ball channels with micro switches

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I really donno what I am getting into but that looks rather interesting to me.
    I haven't played as much as seen those kind of things here, that is why it interests me,
    If I know how to play it then I can make it.
    But how can I make something I haven't played :p.
    Can you tell me how to play that in simple terms, then I think I can figure out a circuit or whatever electronics is missing from it.
    Together I will be making a game machine like yours.

3. emmadog

Feb 27, 2010
    The object of the game is to get a fully lit row, column, or the center 4 numbers. A player inserts a token and 16 balls are then shot onto the playing field using a spring loaded lever to land in one of the 16 numbered pockets below which then lights up a corresponding number. Rows pay out 2 tokens, columns 1, and the center four pay 3 tokens. There are also the four pockets with "flaps" on them and have two numbers plus a letter assigned. The flaps open or close when a ball enters. This is done without an electrical input. So if the flaps are open when a ball enters they then close and vice versa. Anyway when a ball goes in the first number shown labeled on that pocket lights up. A subsequent ball in that same pocket lights the second number. The center lower feature is not a pocket but a pass thru component. When a ball enters this it opens the lower left and right pockets as well as lighting the number 14. The top pass thru immediately pays out one token and allows the player to select one of the pockets in which to open. This is accomplished by pressing on one of the four buttons on the left side of the machine labeled A thru D. This activates a small solenoid behind the pocket Also, the row of numbers across the top of the machine lght up to show how many tokens are due to be paid out at the end of a game. if more than one is lit then those numbers are added to give the payout up to a max of 15. That's about it for the rules except for a couple of other small details. Let me know if you need more info or pics. Thanks. John.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Hmmm!!. So what are the user inputs, What does the gamer do to interact with the machine?

5. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Hola Rifaa,

Many many years ago I learnt of another option: the machine playing in automatic with no intervention of the player. Awful and ridiculous.

Been to Japan many times.

In a big NOISY room where hundreds of these machines were running, lot of "players" were "attending" several machines at the same time.

A variant: a single-machine player with the thing in automatic, staring at it absent minded for more than half an hour.

Still have some of those shining small balls.

Always intrigued about their complexity.

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Exactly what I was thinking.. What the heck is the use of the game if you just push a button and stare at it, to see the rest of the thing doing automatically.
    Not much fun at all.
    But I really donno what the OP one does.
    I was thinking like the ones I see in films where the gamer pushes hard on buttons, and kicks here and bangs there and shouts WTF... u know what I mean.
    The gamer hardly stands straight, every now and then he will be banging his head on the panel or display.
    I was hoping for something like that.

7. emmadog

Feb 27, 2010
    You can't see it in the pics but there is a lever on the lower right front of the machine. You simply pull down the lever and release it to propel a ball onto the playfield. You can vary the force if the shot by how far down the lever is pulled.

8. emmadog

Feb 27, 2010
    The machines you guys are referring to are modern versions and much more complicated than this one and not near as fun to play. I have a couple working machines of this type (the kind I am asking assistance on) that see regular use.

9. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    After that is it up to the ball to decide your luck :D

10. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    The last time I have been to Japan was 18 years now.

And as far as I recall I visited that Pachinko room, more than 20 years ago.. Not recent by any means, I think...

11. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I remember seeing these games at Christmas time in the toy department of a department store way back when they had a real toy department.

They used to have them all set up where you can play with them. I really wanted one.

I thought they were used for gambling in Japan. Is this tue? Could explain why too much skill is not involved.