Cool Binary Watches

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by killivolt, Mar 9, 2015.

1. killivolt

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 10, 2010
  2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    If I had one with ribbon wire for the strap, my daughters would disown me. They were seriously tempted even when I just suggested a big celebration for pi Saturday.

John

killivolt likes this.
  3. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Maybe it's just something to talk about because Apple just released their version of a Watch today. Since I have an iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini; I'm seriously thinking of getting one; I have all the other stuff so why not?

I'm thinking of it as a birthday gift to myself........ Although; to be approved by my wife :lol:

kv

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You guys out-geek me!

killivolt likes this.
  5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I saw the Apple watch today. It had a nice analog face. Must be more to it. It is a bit expensive for just a watch. Can you talk into it like Dick Tracy?

John

killivolt likes this.
  6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Who wears a watch anymore? I can look at my cell phone when I'm at work and I don't care what time it is when I'm not at work.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    By that logic, you can look at the clock on the wall at work or the clock in your dashboard when you're driving.
    Some of us do things that need a watch, and some of use simply refuse to fix the clock in the car. :p

But seriously, I wear a watch for my work because I have to time things that take one minute or three minutes or 25 minutes.

8. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    When I retired, I swore I would never carry another telephone, pager, or other type of leash. 35+ years of being on call 24/7 is enough.

John

9. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Actually you can; it also does FaceTime which allows other iPhone users to to see each other. One problem with the watch is your required to have an iPhone to make it work; they share connections and data.

I will use it at the gym and I can answer calls hands free; my daughter happens to know when I'm 15 feet up on a ladder pulling some wires in a tray while dangling on one leg?

But, on the other hand. I don't have to add another service; since it's tide to the phone. I don't have a separate service for my iPad; I've been thinking to add a hotspot in my contract; so I can get internet at the lake:)

There are a few features I'm sure I'll not take advantage of; but from what I seen in the "Apple" presentation today; it's quite handy. The face of the watch has a number of appearances you can pick from.

I'm looking forward to the Binary one in the future. hehe

kv

Edit: Oh, and from what I seen in the files the Binary watch can be built out of PIC18 it has some files to support it; but I didn't see any Eagle files for the circuit board or schematics?

10. robin105

Mar 7, 2015
    That binary watch is awesome! I wanna make one like that lol.

11. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I liked this one better than the binary one, which was a little too colorful for me...

ourog4dcng2bg3mpq4hh.jpg

killivolt likes this.
  12. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    I recently changed my service contract with ATT to a newer plan; now I'm only paying $65 a month which includes a hotspot.

I noticed at the Gym the Exercise Bikes have a little trouble keeping track of my pulse rate. Maybe the Apple Watch will do a better job.

kv

13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Give up the membership at the gym and you can use the extra money to buy the Apple watch. And then you don't need to keep track of your pulse, so you don't need the watch, so you don't have to drop your gym membership.

killivolt likes this.
  14. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    I met the guy who made this one for Steve Wozniak. Nice video of the Nixie Tube watch here. If I remember correctly, the batteries last about 48 hours and the watch costs $4500.

Anyhow, the guy who made the watch goes to the Maker Fares and, at the last fare I was at, he had built an LED TV display on a wearable lab-coat. He was covered with an episode of The Simson's all day. Pretty cool guy.

15. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Well, that certainly makes a statement about colorfulness! :)