Cookbook Classifications

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Discussions about the proposed cookbook continue, and we are looking at what the classifications might be. Word is we want 10 or so classifications total, and in the original discussion I proposed these...

555 Circuits (this would take precedence over other classifications if it uses a 555 or 556)
Audio Amps
Audio Oscillators
Digital
Instrumentation
PICs and CPU
Receivers
Transmitters
Video

The only one I would add (due to popular demand) is Power Inverters. So what would you add, and what would you eliminate?

Instead of relisting the ideas in future threads past this edit date I'll be modifying the list here, so save time.

1. 555/556 Circuits
2. Digital Clocks/Timers
3. Audio Amps and Oscillators
4. Instrumentation and Test Equipment
5. PICs, Micro-controllers, CPUs
6. Recievers, Transmitters, and Antennas
7. Video and Display Circuits
8. PWM and Motor Controllers
9. Buck and Boost Converters
10. Power Supplies, Inverters, and Battery Chargers
11. Sensors and Transducers
12. Miscellaneous

Last edited:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Based on my non-scientific perceptions of recent requests, I suggest the following:

-Pulse Width Modulation
- Buck and Boost Converters
- Basic Inverter Circuits

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
1. 555/556 Circuits (this would take precedence over other classifications if it uses a 555 or 556)
2. Audio Amps and Oscillators
3. Digital
5. PICs and CPUs
6. Receivers and Transmitters
7. Video
8. PWM
10. Power Supplies and Inverters
11. Sensors
12. Miscellaneous

So what should we eliminate? Digital might be a good candidate, but then where would clock and digital timers go? Video is also a good possibility for elimination.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1) Should "PICs and CPUs" be "PICs and other microcontrollers?" (CPUs could be included, but my sense is that they are not a hot item on this forum.)
2) Suggest changing PWM to "PWM and motor controllers."
3) Add(??): Counters
4) Add(??): LCD Displays

I like having a separate 555 section.

I realize you are trying to shorten the list, but let's get it as complete as possible, then shorten it.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
1. 555/556 Circuits
2. Digital Clocks/Timers
3. Audio Amps and Oscillators
5. PICs, Micro-controllers, CPUs
6. Receivers and Transmitters
7. Video and Display Circuits
8. PWM and Motor Controllers
10. Power Supplies and Inverters
11. Sensors
12. Miscellaneous

A lot of "and"s there, but it seems to work...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When you have a part called recievers and transmitters, also add a part for antennas and propagation.

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A cookbook is about circuits. If someone comes up with an antenna amp or some other variation then we'll find a slot for it, but hardware such as antennas aren't likely to find their way there, this would be for electronics chat or projects forum.

I've built a lot of yagis in my time, lots of cutting and sawing after the calculating.

Maybe another section for the future perhaps...

I don't see radios going away any time soon.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Perhaps make a separate HF book with recievers, transmitters, antennas and propagation.
Then there is always the possebility to add all kinds off modulation technics like AM FM SSB and digital modes like PSK31 SSTV and D-star.

Greetings,
Bertus

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Discussions about the proposed cookbook continue, and we are looking at what the classifications might be. Word is we want 10 or so classifications total, and in the original discussion I proposed these...
Bill, I will trust your judgement on what you think may be an appropriate selection of categories. Whilst we said 10 as a guide, if you need more then you need more.

I'm also interested in knowing if members are familiar with the Albums feature of vBulletin which was added in the recent software upgrade?

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Sorry about the slow responses, I'm just back from Austin, which is always a tiring experience. I was half way sick from lack of sleep, and just got 5 hours this after noon, in other words situation normal for this event (DeMolay Conclave, Texas Style). Overall the event went very well, and was much less stressful than in the past. One rule still applies for Conclave, While Conclave is in Session No DeMolay Shall Sleep, and we advisors are along for the ride. DeMolay is a boys youth group, 12 to 20, think Boy Scouts with an emphasis on Government instead of Military. Conclave is where they elect their state officers for a year, and is a big deal to them. We basically take over a hotel and all its meeting rooms for 4 days.

Concernig the cookbook catagories its hard to include everything, which is why I'm working through this thread. I suspect no matter how hard we all try something will get missed, which is why I put the miscellaneous area in.

Thinking about it, how about...

12. Sensors, Transducers, and Antennas

Antennas are an odd duck. They are the only component that a talented hobbiest can fabricate as good a unit as a commercial company can, being nothing more than math and wire. They aren't a circuit, they are a component, but can intigrate with a circuit to create something new and unusual.

When I originally listed sensors I was thinking home security devices, such as ultrasonic and IR motion detectors. This would also include radar, sonar, ladar, and anything else in this realm someone might come up with.

Basically this is meant to be a brainstorming session, I was tired or I would have been a bit more open. I fully expect Dave and the Mods to be in charge, and we'll help where ever we can. At the end we'll probably include a brief description of each catagory (such as the one above) to help people figure out where to look.

So having said that keep the ideas flowing. I'm going to add and start modifying a list to the first post instead of reposting it every time. I'll post a quick message to the end of this thread to signal the change so people can review it.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi Bill,

Why put an odd duck with sensors and transducers?

Re. Sensors: Ultrasonic, IR. and others that you mention are certainly good to include. There are lots of questions about how to measure liquid levels and metal detection, which introduce capacitance and inductive methods.

I would put antennas where they belong naturally with receivers and transmitters. Given the wide availability of pre-packaged modules (e.g., Linx), I suspect getting the antenna right is perhaps the most important part of getting the RF link to work.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Valid points. My thought was an antenna is a transducer, and the Transmitters and Recieviers could also include things like IR circuits. There are going to be projects that are arbitrary calls. I'll go ahead and move it, but it is definately a point for discussion.

Another thought occured to me, Battery Chargers. Actually it was staring me in the face as I was looking at the forum home page. For now I'll stick it with the power supplies.

6. Recievers, Transmitters, and Antennas
10. Power Supplies, Inverters, and Battery Chargers
11. Sensors and Transducers

Sorry about the slow responses, I'm just back from Austin, which is always a tiring experience. I was half way sick from lack of sleep, and just got 5 hours this after noon, in other words situation normal for this event (DeMolay Conclave, Texas Style). Overall the event went very well, and was much less stressful than in the past. One rule still applies for Conclave, While Conclave is in Session No DeMolay Shall Sleep, and we advisors are along for the ride. DeMolay is a boys youth group, 12 to 20, think Boy Scouts with an emphasis on Government instead of Military. Conclave is where they elect their state officers for a year, and is a big deal to them. We basically take over a hotel and all its meeting rooms for 4 days.

Concernig the cookbook catagories its hard to include everything, which is why I'm working through this thread. I suspect no matter how hard we all try something will get missed, which is why I put the miscellaneous area in.

Thinking about it, how about...

12. Sensors, Transducers, and Antennas

Antennas are an odd duck. They are the only component that a talented hobbiest can fabricate as good a unit as a commercial company can, being nothing more than math and wire. They aren't a circuit, they are a component, but can intigrate with a circuit to create something new and unusual.

When I originally listed sensors I was thinking home security devices, such as ultrasonic and IR motion detectors. This would also include radar, sonar, ladar, and anything else in this realm someone might come up with.

Basically this is meant to be a brainstorming session, I was tired or I would have been a bit more open. I fully expect Dave and the Mods to be in charge, and we'll help where ever we can. At the end we'll probably include a brief description of each catagory (such as the one above) to help people figure out where to look.

So having said that keep the ideas flowing. I'm going to add and start modifying a list to the first post instead of reposting it every time. I'll post a quick message to the end of this thread to signal the change so people can review it.
A good design, as I recall is (given approx 1/2 tubing) .92 wave for director, .95 for the driver element, 1.05 for the reflector.. and the spacing of .1 wavelength for director to driven element, and .15 for driven element to reflector. This is from a VERY old ARRL handbook (and an old man's memory!