Convolution

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You keep asking for answers without making any attempts on your own on solving the problems. This isn't the way this thread works.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
if you don't know whether I have attempted or not then keep shut,
You failed to post your attempts, so that indicates to me that you have done nothing to solve the problem.

Why should the members bother to go through an analysis when you chose not to abide by the forum rules.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello salmanshaheen_88,

Georacer and JoeJester are right.
You did not show any attemp on you solution.

Without that we can not see where you got stuck.

You must have seen this in the regulations:

Asking Questions:

1. Before posting a question.

Use the forum search facility to see if a similar question has been asked before. Chances are your question is similar to an earlier one. Also check to see if your query is covered in the All About Circuits On-line Textbook or if it has been covered in the Newsgroup Archive.

If your question has not been asked previously, then create a new thread. Please do not hijack another user's thread.

2. Give your posting a descriptive title.

Give a short concise statement of your problem in the subject. Attention attractors like "Please", "Help", "Urgent" etc, while great marketing tools, you are seeking assistance, not selling a product or service. To the readers, your post has the same priority as all the other posts on these forums. Practice your marketing skills elsewhere. None descriptive subject lines are more likely to get skipped over by some readers faster than descriptive topic lines. Bad descriptors don’t help your cause, examples include:
  • "I can't figure this out!"
  • "Stupid question..."
  • "Newbie needs help"
  • "Help me! Urgent!"
3. Be descriptive.

Your opening post dictates the direction of the topic and discussion, therefore if you are asking a question, be descriptive. Include in your posting:
  • A description of your homeworks objectives.
  • The problems you’ve identified.
  • The steps you have taken to date, to overcome the problem; including any research and work your have already undertaken.
Additionally:
  • Post all your attempts at the questions and details of any information you have been given as part of the homework/coursework/assignment.
  • If this is a circuit-related question, post a schematic of your circuit and include a link to the original circuit if your design is a modification of the original.
We strongly advise that attachments are made using the Printed Document Format (PDF). This is both for the protection of the original authors Intellectual Property (IP) and in the wider interests of security of the members at AAC. To create PDFs of most documents and images formats on-line, go to http://pdfonline.com.

Any post that demands information with little input from the user will be promptly dismissed and closed by the moderation team. Remember getting help on these forums is a two-way process; what you put into these forums you will certainly get out.

4. Be persistent.

There are those who learn each time they help someone. It may be as simple as being reminded of the mindset of someone just starting out in electronics.

In worse case scenarios, the posters will argue with the each other. There is nothing wrong with discourse, but remember, you came here for help. If you don’t understand the responder’s response, by all means, ask them for clarification. The most important question is the one someone is afraid to ask.

5. If you are not going to take advice and acknowledge the efforts of others, don’t ask the question.

Often times, people post questions with the wrong mindset from the very beginning. This is a shared knowledge base on these forums. A number of people are willing to assist you in solving your problem. They are not here to solve your problem for you, but to guide you down the path to a solution.

Acknowledge their efforts as they are acknowledging you and improving your baseline knowledge. Don’t let the discussion become one sided as we all can learn from the poster and the responders. Keep people in the loop concerning your progress and if they have been helpful.

6. Remember that when people help you, they are doing you a favor.

Irrespective of the egos on the board, it’s not someone else’s privilege to troubleshoot your circuit or your misunderstanding of the theories. The members here are doing you a favor. If no one answer’s your inquiry very fast, consider this is a worldwide resource and some may be sleeping or at work.

Being snippy or rude will only stop people from responding and lead to your query being flamed.
Bertus

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
ok my question is that how I will pass x(t) through h(t) as x(t) has magnitude greater than h(t) ???
The idea of "passing through" is not a physical one, but instead is the idea of multiplying, shifting/sliding and adding/integrating. To see this graphically, go back to the page that BenjaminSweet recommended and use your mouse to draw your signals as best you can. Make sure that you make the heights, widths and shapes of the waveforms as close as possible to your example. Then use your mouse to slide one signal by the other, and you will see a graphical answer that is almost the answer to your problem. It will display all of the regions, shapes and kinks of the real answer.

Once you can visualize what is happening, then you can write out the integral equation which does this exact calculation. The integrals are trivially easy, but the hard part is to figure out how to break the integral into pieces that are valid over a resticted time period. You will end up with a solution that has 5 pieces, I think. To help you along, I'll identify the regions where you will get different functional answers.

t < -1
-1 < t < 1
1 < t < 3
3 < t < 5
t > 5

Did you notice that the graphical answer displayed these 5 regions?

Try writing out the integrals for each of these 5 cases. If you can't do it completely or with confidence, post what you are able to do, and then we can step you through the process.

salmanshaheen_88

Joined Mar 5, 2009
my professor told me that in convolution we pass one signal from another, in fact convolution means multiplication. but my question about this problem is that how it is possible to pass a signal with high amplitude through a low amplitude signal

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
my professor told me that in convolution we pass one signal from another, in fact convolution means multiplication. but my question about this problem is that how it is possible to pass a signal with high amplitude through a low amplitude signal
That is the exact question I tried to answer. Did you try what I suggested? Did you go back to the page and create your own signal with a high amplitude? If you do that, you will see how it is possible to pass a signal with a high amplitude by (not through) a low amplitude signal.

Convolution does not in fact mean multiplication, although it does correspond to multiplication in the frequency domain, but that's a totally different concept. In the time domain, convolution is a process of multiplying, shifting and adding for discrete time signals, and it is a process of multiplying, sliding and integrating for continuous time signals. Note that one of the signals is flipped on the time axis (like a mirror image) for the sliding/integrating process.

Last edited: