converting widescreen into standard 4:3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PG1995, Aug 17, 2011.

1. PG1995

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Hi

Would you please help me with this? It would be nice of you. What would be the size of s screen with specs: 3.7", WVGA (480 x 854 pixels), 16:9 after the conversion? The screen specs are for Motorola Milestone. I have a Win Mobile Pocket PC which has screen of 3.6 inch with resolution 640 x 480 (4:3). I find my PPC screen somewhat small to read e-books. Thanks.

Regards
    PG

2. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Ebooks in the pdf format are difficult to read on any screen ... except a computer screen. Even on a kindle, the pdf book is small print.

You will not gain much using the WVGA (854 x 480) 3.7 inch screen when compared to a 3.6 inch VGA (640 x 480) screen.

3. PG1995

Apr 15, 2011
    I'm addicted to smartphones with QWERTY keyboards. I can't even imagine how people use their iPhones without the keyboard. Is this possible to use the keyboard-less phone easily for someone who types a lot. My sister has an iPhone and I don't see she has any problem because she doesn't type much. Some days ago I had a chance of buying Motorola ATRIX at a cheap rate but I didn't only because it didn't have the QWERTY. What would you suggest me? Have you used a smartphone without the keyboard? I know there is virtual keyboard which covers a lot of screen part!

4. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    My phone has a keyboard ... but ... I'm not a texting fool like some I know. Truth be told, if I get one message a day ... that's ok by me. I know some who are surgically attached to their communications devices.

5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Use swype for a week and you'll never touch a keypad again. Also if you haven't used any of the newer touch phone your missing out. They don't screw up anymore. No more trying to hit a tiny x with your finger nail. Just press and it does the math of where your touching. As far as 16:9 or 4:3 is neither. Its, its own resolution you'll just have to crop. Lots of software does it for you now. Just load the video file and tell it what you want it to do. Also most video software can fix the aspect ration and do what ever you want. Plus newer smart phones are so fast I can nearly play 720p HD MKV's on my phone naitivly.

6. PG1995

Apr 15, 2011
    I don't even get one message everyday! :) The ones I get almost everyday are from the network.

I use my phone to surf internet such as this forum. It would be extremely hard to write a post here with a keyboard-less phone. It's easy with the phone I have now which is QWERTY but this phone needs to be changed. I think I will buy Moto Milestone 2.

One other bad aspect of virtual keyboard is that you are left with almost half of the screen. For example, see here:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Apple_iPad_Event03.jpg

But still that swype and virtual keyboard can't beat the real physical keyboard. Today I was playing around with my cousin's Moto Atrix. It is one of the best phone out there. I still didn't like it because it doesn't have a QWERTY.

Best wishes
    PG

7. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Same here,and most of the time I get calls not SMS.I feel weird when people use short hand for msg like "How R U" i.e.. How are you or "GD9T" i.e.. good night or "GR8" i.e.. Great.

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    See on a phone I feel it kills a QWERTY keyboard. A full size PC KB no, a phone qwerty kb sure. Swype is incredibly fast and accurate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2jGeN2ANMc&feature=relmfu