Converting varying AC into DC.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mghg13, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mghg13

Thread Starter Member

Jul 17, 2013

I am trying to implement some electronics equipment on my motorcycle. The motorcycle produces a 12V AC voltage to power all its electronics part. However the circuit I designed, works on DC voltage (12V max). Moreover, the AC voltage may vary between 6V to 13V.
    I want to power my electronics circuit using this available power.

Is there any 3-pin regulator (or any other all-in-one semiconductor device) commercially available that can convert this varying AC into A DC convenient for my circuit?
  2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    This thread probably won't stay open long as it dances on the edge of discussing automotive modifications, which are prohibited.

Having said that, you should be able to find commercially available supplies to do what you want. If nothing else, you can make a regulator to give you a reliable, say, 6V DC and then use a boost DC-DC converter to get your 12V DC.
  3. donpetru

Nov 14, 2008
    I recommend that you study an application of TL494 can be adapted to receive the input voltage between 6 and 12VAC, and give the output a constant voltage of 12VDC.
  4. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    Does your circuit HAVE to function at all times off of the AC source? You might be able to ignore the times it spends below 12V, probably at idle with the lights on. If your other circuit has its own battery, you just need to be sure it stays charged just as the main battery does. The normal conversion of AC to regulated DC is to use a bridge rectifier, possibly with a filter (capacitor), followed by a regulator such as 7812.

If you don't need much power, you can use a single diode and capacitor to make a peak detector to supply DC to the regulator. For this application you could add a 27V zener diode to limit the max voltage seen by the regulator.