Converting VAC to VDC

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
Hello all.

Very easy question...

Is there a component that would convert vac to vdc that is small enough to mount on a PCB board?

Thanks,
Alex

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
A diode or bridge rectifier will do what you want.
If you gave us more information we can reccomend a part number for you.
Wwhat is the voltage
What is the current
Do you need half wave or full wave rectification
Do you need filtering
Do you need regulating

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
Voltage in would be mains voltage at 240VAC, not sure what the current is rated at. I would like to step it down to 24VDC. Filtering and regulation are definite pluses, but not necessary.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Then you need an intermediate device - a step down transformer. It will reduce the voltage and isolate you from the mains. The load current is quite significant for the proper selection of the transformer, though.

thakid87

Joined May 23, 2009
I'm a little hesitant on doing this, but should I just plug my probes in there and try to measure current?

Actually now that I think about it, current must be measured in series. So, how do I go about measuring the current that my house receives? A clamp on meter? Is there any other to do this without a clamp on meter? I don't have access to one right now.

Last edited:

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Why don't you tell us exactly what it is you want to do?
In the first post you did not mention dropping the voltage down.
Always give all the details you can in the first post and it'll make giving you an answer so much easier.

When beenthere is asking for the load current he is not asking for the current coming into your house but for the current required at the 24VDC end. What are you going to run on the 24VDC side and how much current does it require? The transformer can only be selected after these details are known.

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
Then you need a transformer rated for ~250W.

At 8 amps/24 V you are drawing aprox 200W. So you need a transformer at least capable of that.

A diode bridge to rectify the AC signal and a capacitor for minimal regulation is probably also needed.