Converting normal outlet refrigerator to portable/outdoor

Eeyah888

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Hey Everyone! I would like to create a concept refrigerator which I will have built to run on VDC or AC/DC but NEEDDDD HELPPP!. I don't want to have to buy a roughly $600 VDC outdoor refrigerator and cut it all up into parts and save some money by creating my own. I have tried to find a parts list for creating an outdoor/portable refrigerator, however I could not find any =(. What am I in for? and where do I start?

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Start by finding a VDC compressor.

Wait...they are not available on this planet.

How about a VDC motor turning a car compressor? That might work.
From there it's just the same old refrigerant tubing, regulator, coils, and thermostat.

good luck!

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
No problem.. get yourself some ice, and a DC fan. DONE.

Actually, I would consider the car AC route. You will need a CFC certified friend to adjust the refrigerant levels for the enclosed space, but that should be relatively easy.

You can replace the existing compressor with the car compressor( w/ DC motor) and may be able to use the existing evaporator in the fridge (pressure tests needed). Also, be sure to flush the original lines.. You do not want to mix refrigerant types.

Eeyah888

Joined Jun 2, 2010
:D I am having faith in this idea! but what type of energy source could I use to run a cars compressor? I am looking to see if a chargable battery that could withstand hours being outside would work possibly?

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Look at post number 2 where it says, "a motor turning a car compressor". Use whatever kind of motor you want to use.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well first, you need to get a compressor and some info on that compressor.

That will dictate what you need. The compressor may need a 1HP motor at 1750RPM. then you can decide to get an AC motor a DC motor or a whole bunch of rabid raccoons running in a wheel.

You will find a bunch of motors that are built for torque in automobiles. These will typically be 12vDC motors that you can run off LEAD-ACID batteries and recharge many times.

But start with a compressor.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You wouldn't want the compressor to "feel" out of place.

Nothing worse than a "home-sick" compressor.

Depending on the motor you choose, you may need a belt drive to change the speed or gain torque.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
That was just a guess. You REALLY need to find a compressor FIRST. That will tell you what you need.

Think about it. Cars have 100's of horsepower engines in some cases. You have to be sure the compressor you get CAN be turned by the motor you get.

Also, I think many vehicle compressors are low pressure with higher RPM. so you can most likely use a weaker motor.

Stop looking for motors until you GET a compressor.

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Did somebody say, "First you need to get a compressor and some info on that compressor"?

You can calculate the horsepower requirements of the compressor after you read and understand Trane Reciprocating Refrigeration published by The Trane Company, Commercial Air conditioning Division, La Crosse Wisconsin 54601

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Your 1750 RPM motor is AC. Rv refrigs are mostly heat operated, propane, 12V DC, 120V AC,or with modification might run on solar consintrator.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
There are thermo-electric coolers that run on 12V DC. Draw around 10A??
That sounds a good option. Peltier effect coolers are cheap and easily enough available. RS stock them in the uk. I'm fairly sure that's what is in those mini fridges that hold a sixpack.