10 0 1 0 1 0
11 1 1 0 1 1
12 0 1 1 0 0
13 1 1 1 0 1
14 1 1 1 1 0
15 0 1 1 1 1

And here is my boolean equation:
F = A'B'C'D' + A'B'C'D' +A'BC'D +A'BCD' + AB'C'D + AB'CD' + ABC'D' +ABCD

I now have to convert this combinational system into cellular logic form. I have no idea how to do this...Thankyou for reading!

u-will-neva-no

Joined Mar 22, 2011
From my lectures, the cellular logic has been drawn my a "square box",or cell,
usually with two inputs, and you can cascade it into a series of identical functions. My issue is what should go inside the "box".

One example that I do understand was where I had to realise the cellular logic for a half adder circuit. Thus, I drew an XOR gate inside, where the two inputs could be chosen. For my above question, I do not recognise a type of gate configuration to but inside the cell

After writing all of the above, I just realised that iIcould have simply replied "yes"... lol!

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Heh, yours is a common question and the answer is actually very easy.

Take a look a the XOR gate: Its TF is F=A'B+AB'. In other words, it gives a '1' when it gets {AB}={10} or {AB}={01}. Does that ring any bells? It's an odd parity detector!

And it's actually cascadable: A XOR B XOR C XOR D for example is a 4-bit odd parity detector.

The Mods lectured us lately about giving you guys ready solutions so I guess I 'll leave the rest to you. Come back with any questions.

u-will-neva-no

Joined Mar 22, 2011
Im still slightly confused! My first issue is that you stated that the XOR function is an odd parity detector. I read on-line that odd parity is when the total bits (including the parity bit) is odd, so is XOR an even parity detector? Please correct me if this is wrong!

Other than that, I now understand! Just as an aside, would the "real" cellular logic have some form of CMOS or TTL logic inside and can you buy standard XOR cellular logic cells?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If the XOR gate is an odd parity detector, isn't the NOT XOR an even parity detector? Think about it.

If you want to find the even parity of A,B,C and D, A XOR B XOR C XOR D will give you the odd parity. Complementing that expression with a NOT gate will invert the parity. If it's NOT odd, well, it's even!

XOR gates are sold ready-made, usually with dual inputs. You will have to cascade them in order to build your circuit.