converting henries to ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshaw

Joined Jul 15, 2008
is it possible to convert henries to ohms?

as one is quantity a of inductance and one resistance?

i have searched the web for the equal but to no avail

trying to convert 1.5 H to ohms

cheers

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
redshaw,

No, as you noted, they are two different things. At an AC frequency, henries produce a reactance which is measured in ohms, but it still is a different quantity than resistance ohms. So you have two strikes working against their equivalence. Ratch

Hello redshaw,
Do you have some answer:
> for your question:
= ''How to convert 1,5 Henry in Ohms.?''
Because I answer the same question..
Please, if you got any answer thince the time, tell me some..
I need it..
Thanks a lot for an answer..
A guy in France..
Bye, Ziggy Stardust.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I wouldn't hold my bread expecting the starter of a decade old thread to answer you.

Instead, study up on inductive reactance in your text book and, if you are still having problems, start a thread so that YOUR problem can be addressed.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Inductors have an impedance that is proportional to the frequency of the applied voltage.
This impedance does not dissipate any power from current going through this impedance.

Resistors have a resistance that does not change with frequency.
Power is dissipated by current going through this resistance.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

If you subtract the current year (2018) from the year of the first post (2008) you get -10 year-ohms per ohm :)
Try to convert that to years if you like :)
Or to decades :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

as one is quantity a of inductance and one resistance?

i have searched the web for the equal but to no avail

trying to convert 1.5 H to ohms

cheers
As you say (or said about a decade ago, but for the benefit of the revived discussion), they are different things.

In fact, there are two different things that both have the same unit, namely ohms. These are resistance and reactance. While both are the ratio of a voltage and a current, that's largely where the similarity ends. A resistance is the ratio of the instantaneous voltage across the device to the instantaneous current through the device and it is a property only of the device; a reactance is the ratio of the amplitude of a pure sine wave of the voltage across the device to the amplitude of the a pure sine wave of current through the device and is a function of the frequency of the signal as well as the inductance of the device. Furthermore, a resistance always dissipates power whenever there is voltage across it or current through it, while a reactance never does (on average over an integral number of periods), rather it is able to store energy from the circuit temporarily during one part of the waveform and give it back tot he circuit during another part.

There's actually three different things measured with the unit ohms if you consider impedance, which is a linear combination of the other two.

The inductance of a device, usually measured in henries, can be related to the reactance of that device, usually measured in ohms, but that that does not make them the same thing, so you are not converting one to the other (in the sense that you convert meters to miles. Think of it like the speed of a car and the distance traveled. These are not the same thing, so you don't "convert" speed to distance. Instead, they are related via a third quantity, namely time. So if you know the speed of a car and the time that it has been traveling at that speed, you can calculate how far it has traveled in THAT amount of time. For an inductor, if you know the inductance and the frequency of the signal applied to it, then you can calculate the reactance of the inductor at THAT frequency.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
According to the datasheets i scroll through and the components i check every day, the industry standard seems to be 1R (one Ohm) = 1uH @ 100kHz
You might want to check again. A 1 uH inductor has a reactance of about 0.628 Ω at 100 kHz.

If you post a link to where you got that claim, we can discuss it.

That being said, f*ck all of you who knew the answer but instead choose to act like you're too smart to answer the damn question.
You're part of the problem, not the solution. You're the reason the world is going to sh*t a bit more every day because why should you help kindle the light of knowledge when you can much easier take the p*ss.
Lose the attitude, otherwise you will be gone.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
From what century is Nashimel Nexus?

Perhaps this thread needs to be truncated at April 24, 2018.

Edit: Fixed dyslexic date.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.