Converting an AC device to battery power

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by riskVSreward, Jun 4, 2008.

1. riskVSreward

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    I bought a "Wireless Remote Control" unit at Walgreens that you can plug other devices into to turn them on and off wirelessly via a radio signal. Here's the device details culled from the tiny piece of paper within:

I want to power this device via batteries and I guess I need some inverter schematics.
  2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    A 2KW inverter is not a beginner level project. It would be less expensive for you to simply buy one.

If you are dead set on building, I suggest a copy of Power Supplies, Switching Regulators, Inverters, and Converters by Irving Gottlieb. You should also study datasheets and applications notes for power MOSFETs, which are available on the manufacturers' websites.
  3. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    riskVSreward... Are you aware the power and voltage ratings on that label are for the AC powered devices to be controlled, and not the receiver consumption?

Yes, the receiver/controller alone can be easily powered by a battery, by just measuring its internal DC power supply, removing it and installing a battery with the same characteristics instead.
    But the unit itself still needs 120VAC feed if you want to turn on 120VAC appliances.

4. riskVSreward

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but I have to thank Externet for the tip, I don't need to control anything greater than 9 volt DC so it should work.
  5. masteropie

May 17, 2008
    I would guess such a receiver would operate on low voltage dc, somewhere around 5 to 12 volts. The 120 volt mains will probably be rectified, filtered, and ran threw a voltage divider. There are a thousand ways to get 12 volts from 120 so i won't bother guessing past that.

Open up the device, plug it in (on a gfi to be safe), use a voltmeter and make your way back from the power input until you find low voltage dc. Now you can use a battery to power it. A 9v battery should work if the internals are operating between 6 and 12 volts.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it? I have been looking for something like this for a while.