converting a 3-phase wye to monophasic delta

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by andresvaldes, Sep 23, 2013.

1. andresvaldes

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Hello,
    I got my hands on a DC 1200-3 dust collector motor. The plate has two wiring connections possible, Y AND YY/Y (480 and 220v).
    9 Leads are exposed, but 3 were buried inside the motor. making it impossible to wire it in a delta configuration. I opened up the motor, cut the connection inside and took the 3 new terminals out. So now I have 12 leads.
    After identifying polarities I have tried connecting the motor to works with 220 monophasic (I live in the US).
    It starts up, but it really get very hot. What might be wrong? Are there motors that are designed only for one configuration? (Y in this case) or it might be some wrong wiring that I am doing?

Thank you very much for any pointers,
    Andres

2. andresvaldes

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Ok, good news. I was able to figure it out. Each branch of the delta was properly wired, that part was easy becuse the plate of the motor had information on some leads that needs to be tied to each other when configuring as a Y (high voltage configuration, 480). The new thing I learned is that if you are going to wire as delta you join opposite polarites. I mean, the winding U has an end terminal named U1, the V has its V1 and the W one, its own W1. In delta arrangment you don't connect those '1' ends to each other, but to the '2', or second terminal of the other winding.
    In my case (Jet DC 1200-3) it was tricky because of the labelling. They have U2, V2 and W2, but those are NOT the second end of U1, V1 and W1. The actual '2' end are the one that was initially buried into the motor and I exposed with wires.
    Now it runs very fast (I still have it running at 110 instead of 220), it starts up pretty fast and it does not get hot at all. At 220 should work even better.

I hope this finding could help somebody else too.

Best regards,
    Andres