converting 5V dc to 230V ac

rere.needhelp

Joined Aug 29, 2011
hello everyone..!!
I'm doing a project on temperature controlling using a microprocessor.
I have programmed the microprocessor and I am getting the 5V control signal from the peripheral interface as per the design. Now I have to convert this 5V DC signal into 230V AC signal in order to operate a warning bulb.
I have been told to use a general transistor and a solid state relay with 7407 as buffer. Can anyone please provide a schematic for the conversion of 5V DC to 230V AC.

Thanks in advance..!!!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Can you post a schematic describing how you think it should be? I also think it would be more correct to say that the 5 volt DC are used to control (turn on/off) the 230 volot AC

rere.needhelp

Joined Aug 29, 2011
@t06afre:
you are right...I actually want the 5Vdc to control 230V AC.
I am not aware of solid state relay circuits but all what I have been told is
5V-->7407 buffer -->transistor-->solid state relay

I don't even know whether the above schematic is correct or not but that is what I have been told.
Please advice.
Thank You.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Depending on the uC and the SSR, you can probably drive the SSR directly from the uC. Basically you are just driving an LED/resistor in the SSR. Can you post links or part # for both?

Ken

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
@t06afre:
you are right...I actually want the 5Vdc to control 230V AC.
I am not aware of solid state relay circuits but all what I have been told is
5V-->7407 buffer -->transistor-->solid state relay

I don't even know whether the above schematic is correct or not but that is what I have been told.
Please advice.
Thank You.
In many cases a solid state realy. Can be driven directly from a microcontroller port. But using a buffer like the 7407. Will never be wrong. I do not think you need a transistor after the 7407 since the 7407 is an open collector type buffer. What is important is the solid state relay specs. What voltage and current is needed to turn it on. You may find this in the relay data sheet. Just use Google and search for it