Converting [-24V=>24V] to [0=>1.8V]

Oussama Zaidi

Joined Mar 1, 2016
Hi
I use the circuit in the picture below to convert a DC signal from [-24V=>24V] range to [0=>1.8V] range
I have two questions:
1)When I simulated it in ISIS I found that it gives me the right results only if Vee=-Vdd that is mean if I connect Vee to GND it gives me wrong results I can't understand why can anyone give me an explanation?
2) I need to use an adjustable resistance (timmer resistors) to make the output in the right range after realisation and it is generally the one which has the lowest value which means 1K but in this case I have 4 resistances unless of 2 so did I need to replace both of 1k resistances with adjustable ones or replacing just one is sufficient and if it is just one what is better replacing R8 or R10 and why?
Thank you.
aaaaaaaaaaa.PNG

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
It is a common mode problem you have. When the input is negative, there will be a negative voltage on the inputs of the operational amplifier, which then require a negative supply.
I would both scale and offset adjust at the input voltage divider.
Something with a resistor of (approximately, I think) 4400 Ohm from the junction of R9 and R10, and to + 5V. The operational amplifier must, depending on the requirement of the following circuit, be removed or just be a buffer.

Oussama Zaidi

Joined Mar 1, 2016
It is a common mode problem you have. When the input is negative, there will be a negative voltage on the inputs of the operational amplifier, which then require a negative supply.
I would both scale and offset adjust at the input voltage divider.
Something with a resistor of (approximately, I think) 4400 Ohm from the junction of R9 and R10, and to + 5V. The operational amplifier must, depending on the requirement of the following circuit, be removed or just be a buffer.
I am sorry but I didn't understand the last part the 4.4K resistor is it fixed or variable value and in place of which resistor exactly I need to use it? I was thinking of using a 1K variable in place of the 1K fixed.

Oussama Zaidi

Joined Mar 1, 2016
Without the op-amp and keeping the input resistor the same value I make the values:
View attachment 106827
Then you could make R2 adjustable to set the zero output and R3 to set the 1.8V.
An active circuit is better because it is more stable and consume less, also the 0 to 1.8V is made to be the input of the BeagleBones ADC pins, in this case the pins are not protected they can easily be damaged I think.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
An active circuit is better because it is more stable and consume less, also the 0 to 1.8V is made to be the input of the BeagleBones ADC pins, in this case the pins are not protected they can easily be damaged I think.
You can use the op-amp as a unity gain buffer and the current consumption will not be much affected.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The voltage divider will consume no more current than your op amp circuit.
If you want less current drawn from the input then increase all the resistor values proportionally.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Much the same resistive divider is built around the op-amp in your original circuit so the noise from the resistors is present in both versions. The op-amp would add to that noise not reduce it. How can some resistors plus an op-amp be more stable than the resistors alone? For instance the amplifier will also add input offset voltage and input currents which will change with temperature.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

A pure resistive solution will depend on the input impedance of the ADC.
Resistors can make noise, metalfilm resistors will introduce less noise as carbon resistors.

Bertus