Converting 12v PSU to 24v

rmp

Joined Jan 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

My first post here so hello.

I need a power supply like the following, just with 24v rather than 12v.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-Outpu...DC-12V-CCTV-Security-Camera-Home/291260980843

I can't find anything, so I wonder if it's possible to convert it to 24v by changing the transformer to something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-24...sal-Regulated-Switching-CCTV-UK-/191733870857

Is it as simply as swapping them over, or more complex as the pcb side of the first unit has caps, resistors etc?

thanks for any advice

Richard

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Those to which you linked are both power supplies. Swapping power supplies is fine. Converting a 12 volt power supply to 24 volts would require changing more than the transformer, usually a whole lot more.

rmp

Joined Jan 18, 2017
Hi Dick,

Thanks for your reply. What I meant was, can I put the item in the second link, in the case of the first in place of the equivalent part - as I want the case and separate fused outputs of the first link just at 24v rather than 12v.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Thanks

rmp

Joined Jan 18, 2017
It's for powering a collection of electric master clocks. Each clock requires around 330mA, so in theory for a ten circuit PSU 3.3A

However, each clock only impulses very briefly every 30 seconds and the chances of them all impulsing at exactly the same time is very unlikely. So no sustained load.

I've been running them off plug in PSUs (wall warts) without any trouble, but would like to have a cabinet style psu like the one in the first link, so that each clock can be separately fused and it's much neater. I just need 24v rather than the 12v they come at.

thanks for your help Dick.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So you want a 24 VDC supply with 10 output jacks?
I suggest you get a 24 volt power supply and start drilling holes for your new jacks.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sorry #12 don't understand what you mean?
1) I don't believe you are going to find a single voltage power supply with 10 output jacks, ready to go, on the retail market.
2) Output jacks require mounting holes.
3) A drill makes holes.

You can either install the extra output jacks or plug together a bunch of adapters until you get to ten.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
It's for powering a collection of electric master clocks. Each clock requires around 330mA, so in theory for a ten circuit PSU 3.3A

However, each clock only impulses very briefly every 30 seconds and the chances of them all impulsing at exactly the same time is very unlikely. So no sustained load.

I've been running them off plug in PSUs (wall warts) without any trouble, but would like to have a cabinet style psu like the one in the first link, so that each clock can be separately fused and it's much neater. I just need 24v rather than the 12v they come at.

thanks for your help Dick.
The CCTV power distribution box is fitted with a "power distribution" PCB that separates the single internal power supply output into multiple outputs, each a "channel", for connecting to individual devices. Each channel on the PCB has a fuse and circuitry designed for 12v. So if you wanted to swap out the internal power supply, you really would have review the PCB components first and confirm that they could be used at 24v.

rthomas12

Joined Dec 6, 2016
I like the idea of buying both and swapping power supplies. That lockable box will give you a nice clean finished look. Hopefully the pcb could be modified or you could remove it and make your own circuit protection based on your devices.

rmp

Joined Jan 18, 2017
I like the lockable box, and the idea of the separate output channels, hence swapping the power supply seems like a good idea. My question is how can I tell if the PCB requires modification? I suppose it's things like the resistors for the LEDs etc...? but I'd appreciate any advice from someone with more experience! thank you.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I like the lockable box, and the idea of the separate output channels, hence swapping the power supply seems like a good idea. My question is how can I tell if the PCB requires modification? I suppose it's things like the resistors for the LEDs etc...? but I'd appreciate any advice from someone with more experience! thank you.
Hi

I'd start with getting a schematic from an existing unit and see what type of circuits and components are used.
Then, determine which components would need to be changed to operate at 24vdc. Tedious process but doable.

Once this assessment is finished, I would then determine if it was worth replacing parts on the PCB, or just design my own. Really though, it probably would be easier to roll you own distribution unit than rebuild an existing box. You would need to make your own PCB though....