converting 110vac to 12vdc

g.farmer

Joined Apr 14, 2010
Hello, I am trying to run a car radiator fan motor from a 110vac power supply. What is the cheapest & easiest way this can be done ?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You are gonna find it much easier to buy a few dollar AC motor then to attempt this.

BUT If you really want to do this.. (and by the way, my radiator fan draws under 1 amp a 20 amp draw fan would kill your battery if it ran with the engine off for more than a few minutes, so I would double check the specs)

But the easiest way would be If you have a 120vAC to 12vDC converter that could handle that amperage.

A car battery charger would be a good way to get that.

High performance High CFM radiator fans draw around 5A, typically.

Last edited:

777funk

Joined Apr 13, 2010
Oh in that case the battery charger will not be able deliver the current. I did not know they needed so much current. :eek:
Depends on the battery charger.

But yes if you're looking to run it long term, I'd just go get a window fan for $15-$25

It'll be the easiest.

Otherwise I suppose you could build a power supply if you're looking for a project. Basically-transformer-rectifier (type will depend on your transformer or whether you want it in one piece of to fabricate it yourself and how much current required)-filter caps. You shouldn't need super clean DC to run a fan.

But all that said, I'd just go get a window fan.

whatsthatsmell

Joined Oct 9, 2009
radiator fan normally draw 15 to 20 Amps
Some fans draw quite a bit more than that - up to 40 amps (see Lincoln).

Anyway, if all you need is 15 amps, hack an ATX computer power supply. I used a 450 watt supply that I got on ebay for less than $20. (including shipping) to run a 12v fan on an aux generator. The 12v rating on that power supply is 20 amps. If you need more, get a larger power supply.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Wow, that is huge draw. Is that for a single fan motor or a multi fan setup? And is the 40A the startup spike or the running draw?

Heres what I found:
FLEXALITE TRIMLINE STRAIGHT BLADE FAN, BLACK -- 14 in. fan diameter, 14-3/ 4 in. x 14-1/ 4 in. x 3-1/2 in. overall dimensions, 10 blades, 1585 cfm, 9.5 amp draw, 2220 fan rpm at 13.5 V DC, 21 degrees fan blade angle; Reversible type;
and the dual fan setup:

FLEXALITE LOW PROFILE ELECTRIC COOLING FAN, BLACK -- 26-1/4 x 15-1/2 x 2-5/8 in. overall dimensions, 2500 CFM air flow, 14-22 amp draw
These were found via: http://www.autopartsdeal.com/Parts_List/electric_cooling_fan/lincoln/town_car/

I found an 18a fan for a Mustang:

1979-1993 Ford Mustang Flexalite Radiator Fan

FLEXALITE BLACK MAGIC X-TREME FAN, BLACK -- 15 in. fan diameter, 17-1/ 2 in. x 21-1/ 2 in. x 4-3/16 in. overall dimensions, 8 blades, 3300 cfm, 18.0 amp draw; Puller type; With built in control box with adjustable thermostat, A/C relay and manual switch connection; The strongest 15 in. fan available that provides constant cooling regardless of engine RPM
So I guess anything is possible. But I think the amount you would pay to convert the 120vAC to 12vDC at those current levels would more than cover the cost of an AC motor.

Last edited:

g.farmer

Joined Apr 14, 2010
Thank you all for your help. I was hoping to find a converter simular to a phone charger, only bigger. For now someone loaned me a converter that is used on a rv. It's working fine, but certainly a little overkill.