converters

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I found a dead snake shorting out a contactor. I wish I couldn't remember the smell!
Just one more warning not to be the squirrel or the snake.

hakim_789

Joined Feb 17, 2015
By reading your opinions (especially the video) I think its a good idea to lower the voltage to around 120V (is it safe enough?). Anyway I have the access to a 3 phase autotransformer in my lab rated around 5 amps. The motor I am using is rated 3 amps. Thanks people !!! :).

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
found the remnants of a squirrel(fuzzy tailed rat) under a transformer pole. 14.4 kV! it looked sorta of squirrel like still, but up close it was just a piece of black charcoal. a very un-natural end for the rat with a pretty tail.
Youtube has plenty of clips showing various critters caught in the act of trying to short 2 adjacent overhead power lines.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think its a good idea to lower the voltage to around 120V (is it safe enough?).
Most of us have survived 120 volts. It isn't comfortable, but it doesn't explode when you make a mistake!
Keep your safety in mind. Your escape reflex might bounce you off a nearby table or cabinet, and that hurts, too.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This is slightly higher voltage but the same effect can be imagined with 415 vs. the 480 3-phase here. I have a screw driver in my maintenance dept that was dropped across some similar power sources - not much left. A small slip of a screw driver, or a poorly tightened lug can cause some major damage in a fraction of a second. By damage, I don't mean the building.

Always liked that clip and used it at work for safety lectures. :)

Ron