converters

hakim_789

Joined Feb 17, 2015
Actually I want to convert 3 phase AC (which is about 415V here) and give the output to a dc motor. Is it better to use diodes or thyristors in this case ?

hakim_789

Joined Feb 17, 2015
Thanks. Is there any simple (cheap) way to reduce or remove the ripples in the output. Is a filter practical in this case??

hakim_789

Joined Feb 17, 2015
Actually I am using the dc motor to test the response for RLE load. I wanted a way to remove ripples so that I won't screw up the dc motor.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
the ripple will bother you more than the motor. they are tough and work with disgustingly noisy, poorly shaped and unfiltered power. application should tell us more about what kind of filtering yout motor truly needs

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks. Is there any simple (cheap) way to reduce or remove the ripples in the output. Is a filter practical in this case??
The motor itself makes a pretty good filter. That's one of the reasons that PWM waveforms can be used so successfully with DC motors.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
3 phase SCR full-wave bridges have been used for decades for DC servo control, you do not need ripple removal with 3ph due to the low percentage ripple level compared to 1ph.
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The unfiltered output voltage ripple from a 3-phase full-wave bridge is <5% so should not affect the operation of a DC motor, as Max noted.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Actually I want to convert 3 phase AC (which is about 415V here) and give the output to a dc motor. Is it better to use diodes or thyristors in this case ?
I think it would be good to use an electrician because that amount of power is incredibly dangerous. You have to go, "Full Safety Practices" because you might not survive even one mistake.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I think it would be good to use an electrician because that amount of power is incredibly dangerous. You have to go, "Full Safety Practices" because you might not survive even one mistake.
I fully concur -- if you are asking the kinds of questions you are asking, then there is a REAL good probability that you really don't have the level of knowledge and experience to safely work with these kinds of systems unsupervised. So pay the money to get someone that can supervise and educate you about these systems -- the cost is minimal compared to the cost of getting tangled up with this kind of power, even if the only result is damaging some equipment.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
For only rectification; 6 diodes will do fine, you can replace 3 of the diodes with thyristors if you want to control the output.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
This is slightly higher voltage but the same effect can be imagined with 415 vs. the 480 3-phase here. I have a screw driver in my maintenance dept that was dropped across some similar power sources - not much left. A small slip of a screw driver, or a poorly tightened lug can cause some major damage in a fraction of a second. By damage, I don't mean the building.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In my first experience with 440V 3 phase, one leg of the disconnect didn't disconnect. I'm lucky I only lost my screwdriver!

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
found the remnants of a squirrel(fuzzy tailed rat) under a transformer pole. 14.4 kV! it looked sorta of squirrel like still, but up close it was just a piece of black charcoal. a very un-natural end for the rat with a pretty tail.