converter

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by overmyhead, Nov 8, 2009.

1. overmyhead

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I need to build something to convert 12 v dc to 120 v ac and can handle more than 1300 w I know you can buy pre built but money is low

2. steinar96

Apr 18, 2009
    I'm pretty sure at these power levels you'll save yourself money buying it from the store. And serious amount of time.

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You would be far better off to purchase a commercial unit than to try to build something yourself.

It will wind up being less expensive and more efficient.

Just to throw some numbers at you, a power inverter might have around 87% efficiency.
    So to get 1,300W out will require nearly 1,500W input. (1.3kw/87%=1.5kw)
    If you're running from 12v batteries, then 1500W/12v = 125 Amperes of current will be required.

You would need a large bank of high-capacity 12v deep-cycle batteries to supply 1300W for any length of time.

You would also need a means of recharging that bank of batteries.
    Charging/discharging lead/acid batteries is certainly not a 100% efficient process. More like 70%. Losses in the charger itself are not included.
    You would need a large and expensive solar array, or very efficient line-powered charger(s) to recharge them.

4. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    You ought to be able to find a used 1500 watt inverter on E-bay, or by canvassing the local garage/ yard sales. If that doesn't work, put an ad in your local paper. Even the local junkyard might have one on the shelf. I just bought a very high class computer controlled Sansui turntable at a local thift store for $25.00. Shop around...high tech devices are as common as mushrooms nowadays.

Cheers, DPW

5. overmyhead

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    thanks that is all I needed to know Ill go pre built