Convert rotary encoder movement to up/down output

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by superduper, Dec 5, 2010.

1. superduper

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi all. Does anyone know of a simple decoder IC that will output CW or CCW pulses from a rotary encoder? I have a project that currently has up/down momentary buttons and I would like to convert that interface to a rotary control.

Thanks.

2. superduper

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Hmm. Interesting. But seems like this might be more chip than I'm looking for. No sample implementation circuits were provided either....

3. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I found This Site with google, it shows how to use a rotary encoder output with a PIC.

How well versed are you in electronics/digital/microcontrollers?

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I don't know if this is what you are looking for but you can use a d-type flip/flop to generate a signal that goes high when the shaft encoder is turning counter-clockwise and low when the shaft encoder is turning clockwise or visa-versa. Of course this assumes that your shaft-encoder outputs phase quadrature signals. All you need to do is connect one of the phases to the data input and the other phase to the clock of the d-type flip/flop.

hgmjr

5. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    The ebook has an example of such a d-type flip/flop hook up at the end of this link.

hgmjr

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010