Convert LCD readout to LED?

tech53

Joined Jan 2, 2012
I was wondering if or how you could convert a cheap LCD display (in this case of budget-priced machine tool DRO displays) into an LED/luminescent display.

I guess they use LCDs being cheaper and using less power. In this case, power consumption is not an issue, but high-visibility is.

I'm guessing it might not be that simple, and it's an area of electronics I haven't delved into before.

Is there a reasonably practical way to do this?

thanks
Dave

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
It could be simple, depending on the type of driver being used and what is being displayed.

For instance... If it is just a 3-1/2 digit LCD displaying numbers from some measuring circuit and being driven from an ICL7106. You could swap out the ICL7106 for the pin compatible ICL7107 and reroute the traces to your new LED 7-segment display. It may take a bit of work, but is plausible.

tech53

Joined Jan 2, 2012
It could be simple, depending on the type of driver being used and what is being displayed.

For instance... If it is just a 3-1/2 digit LCD displaying numbers from some measuring circuit and being driven from an ICL7106. You could swap out the ICL7106 for the pin compatible ICL7107 and reroute the traces to your new LED 7-segment display. It may take a bit of work, but is plausible.
Thanks very much for your response. I still have to purchase the device and check it out properly, but your comments make this project at least sound possible.
Can you suggest any simple projects of this type that might introduce me to the right techniques before I butcher up the new device(!) I'm just an old analogue guy, trying to fake it where I can. ;)

Dave