C44play

Joined Oct 8, 2013
I have the following motor:
DC
130v
250 rpm
Cont
21 lb-in

I would like to be able to plug it in to an AC outlet. How do I go about doing this? I have very little electronics experience but can follow basic directions. Thanks for all the help in advance!:confused:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Look on ebay for KB or Baldor (relabeled) KBIC-120 etc DC SCR drives.
Operates off of AC, no DC Power supply required.
Will also give variable speed.
As long as it is Brushed DC and not BLDC?
That must have a G.B. attached for that low a rpm?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes it has a 10:1 G.B. attached so the max rpm of the motor is 2500.
If you just want to run full rpm then a bridge rectifier off of the 120v is all you need, and an on/off switch, of course.
Max.

C44play

Joined Oct 8, 2013
So I just wire from the AC to the bridge rectifier and from the bridge rectifier to the on/off switch? Then from the on/off switch to the motor?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Yes it has a 10:1 G.B. attached so the max rpm of the motor is 2500.
If you just want to run full rpm then a bridge rectifier off of the 120v is all you need, and an on/off switch, of course.
Max.

Max, is that really a good idea? 120VAC to DC is around 170VDC when rectified, isn't it? Plus it it violates AAC TOS policy. A 120V to ~85V transformer should be in the mix somewhere, shouldn't it?

Plus if I remember correctly, those Bodine motors are wound field motors, not permanent magnet motors.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The ones I have used have all been P.M.
It is only ~170vdc if smoothed, which is not needed in this app, if the OP want to play it safe he could fit a 120/120v transformer.
But the KB SCR drives I use for these motors will operate directly off the 120v AC supply. (SCR bridge).
The down side to using a bridge direct is the high inrush current at switch on which requires an adequate bridge rating.
Max.

C44play

Joined Oct 8, 2013
I'm reading what you gentleman are writing but I'm not understanding. Can you break it down "big bird style" for me please and let me know what I need to do to get it running? Or is there something out there that I can buy that is already built that I can just wire up?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The content of post #7 & #8 pretty much answer the very simplest answer, otherwise get a KBIC-120 or equiv controller off ebay for $30.00, four connections and you are running.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Are you sure you have the bridge hooked up OK,
What is the nature of that controller you have between the bridge and power?
Try the motor on an automotive battery first to test it.
Max.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I have the following motor:
DC
130v
250 rpm
Cont
21 lb-in

I would like to be able to plug it in to an AC outlet. How do I go about doing this? I have very little electronics experience but can follow basic directions. Thanks for all the help in advance!:confused:
If the motor has a field winding; it may already be compatible with AC supply, if its a permanent magnet DC motor; the least you will need is a rectifier.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes, it will, or should run at a rpm at the ratio of the voltage, ~250rpm.
If it only had two wires it is P.M. field and Bodine motors such as those generally are.
Max.