Conversion of battery

Sirdrinksalot

Joined May 26, 2013
Hi,

I have a battery which is made up of 4 watch batteries, its a 4LR44 at 6 volts.

Thing lasts about a day and costs me almost $5 per piece.

Could any valued member come up with a circuit which could reduce a 9v square battery to match this which may last longer than a day.

(also, i could get a 9v rechargeable so I dont have to throw 4 x 4LR44 in the bin each week.

Appreciate guidance.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
A 9 V battery does not have a current capacity that the 4LR44 batteries do.

You can buy your batteries here for $3.25 (or less).

Joined Nov 30, 2010
LR44 batteries carry 105 ma-hrs and usually run in the range of less than a milliamp. You can empty them in 8 hours by using about 13 ma. A 9V battery carries about 440 ma-hr. With a load that low, a low drop-out linear regulator would work pretty well.

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Four AAA cells in series will give six volts. Just buy a battery holder for them. The alkaline types have about 1200mAH and the NiMH rechargeable types have 800-1200mAH so one set of those should last about 8-12 days in your application.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi,

I have a battery which is made up of 4 watch batteries, its a 4LR44 at 6 volts.

Thing lasts about a day and costs me almost $5 per piece.

Could any valued member come up with a circuit which could reduce a 9v square battery to match this which may last longer than a day.

(also, i could get a 9v rechargeable so I dont have to throw 4 x 4LR44 in the bin each week.

Appreciate guidance.
There are rechargeable Lithium coin cells available. They use them in the little flashlights.

Sirdrinksalot

Joined May 26, 2013
Thanks guys, sorry I didnt know what information to post. I cant crack it open to see the circuit, I was hoping for something I could attach to the collar and wire into the battery slot.

I think one of the posts suggesting 4 x 1.5v in a separate holder

I know some people may not like it but the dog has been to several different classes and still wont stop barking, it was either this or get rid of her. It doesnt really hurt, its just an uncomfortable buzz.

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
The current draw is directly related to how often the dog barks and needs a jolt, right?

Is this working? Is the dog barking less? I would think the current draw should become much less as the dog learns not to bark.

Shouldn't this learning already be take place?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Thanks guys, sorry I didnt know what information to post. I cant crack it open to see the circuit, I was hoping for something I could attach to the collar and wire into the battery slot.

Yes, you could use 4 AAA's in a battery holder such as this, which could be attached to the collar. Depending upon the size of the dog, the extra weight of that will likely not be a problem for the him/her.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Fifty years ago I saw a dog that was so incorrigible that the owners had its bark surgically removed. The dog still ran back and forth at the fenceline and pretended to bark, incessantly. Just saying...some dogs never figure it out. Good luck. I only saw ONE dog that couldn't be convinced to shut up.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009

I know some people may not like it but the dog has been to several different classes and still wont stop barking, it was either this or get rid of her..
Not true, there is a simple debark surgery which snips the vocal chords. We had to have it done to our dogs. They never knew the difference, still barked and howled as much they just sounded more like squirrels than fog horns.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Fifty years ago I saw a dog that was so incorrigible that the owners had its bark surgically removed. The dog still ran back and forth at the fenceline and pretended to bark, incessantly. Just saying...some dogs never figure it out.
What was really hilarious was to see our pair sitting there howling with the sirens...... with no sound coming out of them. Singing with the sirens was their favorite pastime, never knew the difference for the rest of their lives.

I only saw ONE dog that couldn't be convinced to shut up.
We had a pair.

Sirdrinksalot

Joined May 26, 2013
She is thick as **** or very clever or somewhere in between.

The collar by beeping when she barks, if she barks again within 30 seconds it beeps again, if she does it a third time it beep then it emits a small charge for about 2 seconds. Its not painful, my 10 year old boy was daring one of his mates to play with it (this isnt why the batteries always run out - the game was banned)

Anyway if we put her out without the collar she will bark, if we put the collar on and the battery is low and doesnt beep she will bark put the collar on with battery and usually she will test it out ( bark 3 times) get the shock and then not bark again (well she grumbles).

Previous to this for the last 10 months we have tried to use a muzzle when she barked, again, she only learns not to bark when the muzzle is on, she still barks to get the muzzle on.

German Shepherd, 14 months old, been to puppy class, reward based training, choke chain training and a private dog whisperer and she is still a barker.

I will go for the 3aaa's in one of those holders and will test it on my son first thanks guys.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If she decides to be a permanent barker, she will also get big enough to carry AA cells or even C or D cells. Then you can paint a red cross on a white background and tell people she is carrying a first-aid pack.:p

But cereally, I expect she will eventually get in the habit of not barking and you will be able to stop putting the training collar on. Don't forget to apply praise for good behavior. A dog wants to please you, even if it is against her instincts.

Andreas

Joined Jan 26, 2009
You had a private dog whisperer. For how many sessions? Maybe you need to try another one.

We had and sometimes have similar issues with our 3 yr old lab. There is a reason that a dog barks or does anything for that matter. They are intelligent and sensitive animals. And barking can often be linked with anxiety, environmental or territorial confusion. For example, construction work happening next door, fences down, auto-light systems coming on, thunderstorms. The reasons are numerous and discovering them and dealing with them are key.

We had a couple of one-to-one sessions with a personal dog trainer who came to our house. She offered some excellent ideas that we hadn't thought of and was money well spent in the end. And don't forget that they can help you not only with your main problem but with the general disipline, health and well being issues of your pet. Perhaps you should try another pet whisperer.

It's about making the training a normal everyday habit, being persistent and consistent and not just when problems arise.

Animals that do need "electrification control" are where cows and bulls and public rights of way are concerned but that's another story.

It seems this topic needs to be bumbed from an electronics discussion to an "off topic" one.