Controlling Motors with Infrared Light

balsaboom

Joined Nov 12, 2013
There will be no PB, the machine should run autonomously after I connect power to all components and pour in the materials.
I'm thinking of just using a photoresistor connected to a DPDT relay.
Yes, the project is part of a set of challenges I'm looking to complete; I figured out the desogn but I can't figure out how to implement it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A photo sensor is limited to the current it can switch so you would need to look for high impedance relay coils, you would need to implement one as an intermediate relay in order to switch a motor.
Max.

balsaboom

Joined Nov 12, 2013
Just to verify that I understand what you mean:

Is it ok if i connect a photoresistor to a high impedance relay, connect the high impedance relay to the DPDT COM1 and COM2 (anode / cathode), connect one motor to NC1 and NO1, and the 2nd one to NC2 and NO2?

Is high impedance relay a type of DPDT relay? Sorry, I'm admittedly still abit confused.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Have you selected any photocell/resistor component yet?
Many have a illuminated resistance of 3k-25k, so you can see from this what you would need in the case of a relay, and the necessary voltage, a high impedance relay requires less current to pick up.
A smaller relay is capable of then picking up the larger higher current capable version.
Max.

balsaboom

Joined Nov 12, 2013
No, I haven't selected the photocell / resistor. So if the illuminated resistance is lower, then a high impedance relay would be more sensitive while a smaller impedance relay can handle more voltage?
I'm not sure that i understood your previous post.