Controlling LED on rocker switch

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mxw8950, Aug 20, 2010.

1. mxw8950

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I have been working on a project where I need to control the speed of a 12V fan by varying the voltage from 5 volts up to 12 volts. I am using an LM317 in order to achieve a variable voltage.

I also have a SPST swtich in order to turn the fan on or off. I am using this switch from eswitch

http://www.e-switch.com/product/tabid/96/productid/113/sename/r1966-series-illuminated-rocker-switches/default.aspx

With this switch it has four terminals two for the rocker and two for the LED's. I would like the switch to work such that when the fan is on the LED is illuminated.

The problem I am facing is that since the voltage coming out of the lm317 is variable the brightness of the LED will vary as well. I was thinking of maybe using a voltage regulator off of the LM317 to get a fixed voltage but can't seem to find the right one.

Would there be a better solution to illuminate the LED on the switch?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Just use the voltage at the input of the LM317.

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Like this... (yes I left out the circuitry for the ADJ side of the 317, input/output caps,etc...) only the basic details for the question are shown.

4. mxw8950

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Thanks so much for your response.....I am literally awestruck at how stupid I feel right now.

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Don't worry.. I'll let you know where to send the check.. :)