Controlling Fans' speed with potentiometers!

ElectronicLife

Joined Jul 19, 2014
Greetings Guys!

I have a question on controlling 2 DC Fans' speed with potentiometers!

I want to wire them up in parallel connection , more details :

2 similar DC fans : 12 volts and 2.5 AMPS for each
1 adapter : 12 volts and 5 AMPS
2 potentiometers for each of the fans!

But I think something is wrong with it ; as it is obvious (according to Ohm law) R is in contrast with I.It means when I want to change the resistance of one of my fans with potentiometer , then the AMPS of the another fan will be increased due to parallel connection! furthermore , it burns out!!!

What can I do about it ?!:confused:

Thanks in advance:)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The second fan will not burnout due to the fact that the voltage will stay the same.
The fan just takes the current it needs.

Bertus

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Fans such as those sound similar to automotive types, they were typically ran with high wattage resistors switched in for speed control, now they are often done with PWM.
You could also put them both in series across 12v!;)
Max.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If the fans are brushless DC type, they have a built in controller that may not work right if the series resistance is high, i.e. you will have limited control over the speed, only at the upper range.

The potentiometers will need to dissipate large amounts of power- better to use a rheostat- a fancy name for a power potentiometer, but these are large, expensive and hard to find these days.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
What do you mean by that ?!
That means you CANNOT use a potentiometer as it will go up in smoke almost instantly.. They are rated up to a few watts max and cannot handle the dissipation.
These aren't uber small computer fans you are talking about here.

Hence the suggestion above for a rheostat.. But wait till you see the prices for those in the sufficient rating.