Controlling Elevator Geared Motors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by meysaminter, Feb 13, 2014.

1. meysaminter

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Hello,
    I want to control Geared Motors for elevator .
    these motors has 2 speed for slow and fast applications. and Thermoregulator for controlling fan and a brake magnet.
    1 - with connecting three phase power does motor works immediately or needs some start up considerations?
    2 - the control of fan is automatically or manual? if answer is manual what is the algorithm of control?
    3 - how to measure the current of each phase?

any information of controlling of these type of motors will be usefull for me . Thanks.

2. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    3 phase motors usually just have their supply connected to start. a soft start could be used. most elevator motors have fans that are thermostat controlled or just blow all the time. measure the current with current transformers.
    in the Uninted States, there are many specialized rules for elevators, especial;y if people are riding them.

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Are the motors 3 ph or 1ph?
    One way to control a 3phase motor is with a VFD.
    For that application, sensorless vector or pulse/encoder feedback would be the better choice.
    As mentioned, a soft start could also be used, but these are primarily for 3ph motors.
    I would say at least the fan would be on whenever the motor ran, so it could be fed of off a relay or contactor.
    A VFD will display the current, if required.
    Max.

4. meysaminter

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    the motors are 3 ph. my motor is mf83 alberto sassi .here is the datasheet.

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If this is a new application, you have the choice of Soft Start or VFD, if you need more than the fixed two speed feature.
    Max.