Controlling current in a grid/mesh?(at particular intersections)

Shaun_K

Joined Nov 5, 2010
Hello guys,
I have a question which I think would be easier to explain using the drawing I have attached.
My problem is that in the mesh/grid I want current in branch B & C by giving corresponding supply as shown. However I don;t want the current in branch A, D, E etc. Since these branches form a parallel path current is obviously going to flow through them. Is there any way I can restrict it?

I think I can use mosfets or bjt between those nodes but I want to keep system as simple as possible & I think there can be a way to restrict the current without using any external devices.

Thank you.

Attachments

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The branches are wires? All connected together? Then there is no way of controlling the current, unless you disconnect B and C from the other wires.

Is the current DC or AC? Why do you need this kind of mesh, and why do you want the current to go through B and C only - if you want it just there, why not get rid of the rest of the wires alltogether?

Shaun_K

Joined Nov 5, 2010
kubeek, yes those are wires & as I said it is possible using mosfets etc. but I was thinking of other ways....
another way I was thinking was by connecting branch A(vertical) to a higher voltage source (the ideas is that since the upper end of wire will be at higher potential current won't be flowing upwards ,also the branch A will be open ckt after the source thus no current will be flowing downwards either... it just will be at a higher potential) however I am not sure whether this system will work accordingly...

Last edited:

Shaun_K

Joined Nov 5, 2010
the main objective is that I should be able to provide current to the nodes of my choice & leaving the other nodes with no current...

Any suggestions?

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
I think it's possible to get part of what you want but not all of it. You can control the current through a particular node (assuming that there is a reasonable resistance there) but to do that, you'd have to impose voltages on the rows and columns, which would also cause currents elsewhere in the matrix. So if you had a matrix of resistive heaters, you wouldn't be able to run just one of them. But if the intersections are sensors, and you wanted to read one and ignore the rest, you might be able to do it.