controlling ac devices with arduino.

gerases

Joined Oct 29, 2012
Since you don't post where in the world you live
I live in the US.

So, I would connect the portion of the black wire from the cord to the pin 1 and another portion leading to the GFI to pin 2?

If I reverse 1 and 2, will it matter?

I will then connect a desk lamp to the GFI and voilà, a light organ.

gerases

Joined Oct 29, 2012
This thread will probably be closed since you are playing around with mail line power.
My interest is purely theoretical though. I don't feel I'm ready for this kind of stuff. Just curious how I would do it, if I wanted to.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The SSR or relay is just a switch. It happens, in your case, to be turned on and off by an Arduino instead of your finger.

gerases

Joined Oct 29, 2012
So those output pins (1 and 2) don't have a polarity then?

All that happens is that the resistance between them is either infinite (when open) or 0 (when closed)? Would that be accurate?

And why would they close the thread after all? Because it would be a danger to me, or for some other reason?

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Threads are usually closed when they deal with direct connection to house power other than plugging in a power source for your project that provides isolation. If you aren't familiar with what isolation is, it only goes to prove the point of closing such threads.

Since you posted in the PROJECTS section, it would be logical to assume that you were trying to actually build a project.

hossamzayed

Joined Sep 6, 2015
So I understand this is an old thread but I'm really interested in getting an answer about the same issue with the difference that I already have a real project going , and I finished the prototype and I only need to upscale it to the actual model.
I'm building a 2 DOF Full 360 Flight sim cockpit using arduino mega as my controller.
Kindly check this link if you want to know more about my project
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=88536&hl=

My questions is:
In order to control (AC 1.5 kw 1400 rpm Induction Motor) direction and on/off state (no speed control required) in a rapidly changing manner (in terms of may be 4 times switching per second .... or may be more I can't tell) what is my best option:
1- Variable Frequency Driver
2- Mechanical Relay
3- Solid State Relay
4- Another option I don't know

Note: I'm still learning AC power basics so I would need a detailed explanation or references to read on the matter
Thanks and waiting for your kind feedback