Controlling 12v 2a DC reversing motor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by diabolic812, May 29, 2013.

1. diabolic812

Thread Starter New Member

May 20, 2013
    Hello. can someone please tell me what I would need to control a 12v 2a DC reversing motor from 2 locations like a 3 way switch?

I am making a retractable garage door bug screen. I would like to be able to control it from a switch inside and outside of the garage. Is this even possible with a revers polarity motor?

obviously I don't know much about electric. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Joshua

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Do you just reverse motor direction by reversing its polarity? If so you could use two momentary SPDT switches with center off to control a DPDT relay.

Will you have limit switches to stop the motor at each end of its run?

3. diabolic812

May 20, 2013
    thanks for the reply.

Yes the direction is reversed according to polarity. And the limit setting is built into the motor itself.

Sorry if I sound stupid but. So I get two momentary SPDT switches and a DPDT relay... how do I wire it all together? I should note, the motor I am using is a RollerTrol 12v 2a motor (with separate power supply) http://rollertrol.com/store/en/12v-tubular/14-projector-screen-motor.html. There are two wires on the motor, one positive and one negative.

Thanks again for your help:)

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Not stupid at all.
    Is it okay to hold the switch until the motor has moved to the limit? If you want it to work with only a momentary push of the switch then that makes it more complicated and I would need to know how the limit switches are connected.

5. diabolic812

May 20, 2013
    it's okay to hold it until the motor reaches it's limit.

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    After further thought you don't need a relay. Below is a circuit using two DPDT momentary switches with a center off such as this.

Note that if both switches are operated simultaneously with alternate positions they will short the supply so you may want to add a fuse in series with the power.

Motor Reverse.gif

7. diabolic812

May 20, 2013
    I can't thank you enough. You've been a great help! Thank you :)