Control unit to Convert DC 90 volts to constant voltage source of DC 45 Volts.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by johnraj, Oct 1, 2008.

1. johnraj

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Hi ,

I am looking to build a control unit of constant voltage source of DC 45 volts .I am planing to use a DC Welder as a power source ( 90 Volt & 320 amps ).

I am looking to reduce this DC 90 volts to DC 45 volts & then I need to again make a variable regulater for DC 45 volt to DC 5 volt.( Such that to use any voltage between Dc 5 volts to DC 45 volts )

I search though and could find some basic diagram for limited input & output voltage only .

Any ideas & diagrams on this would be of Great Help.

Thanks,

Regards,
    John

2. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Are you sure of the 90 volt figure? Seems awful high, my welder only puts out 24 volts.

3. johnraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Hi ,
    Thanks for that input.

I have now checked the machine output details & I have attached this for your review.I can see that the Voltage is only about 30 Volt , for 320 amps.Can you have a look & correct me if I am wrong ?But I think that the Open circuit voltage was about 90 Volt .

I was thinking to use this as a Mig welding machine.So before buying a wire feeder , I thought to check if I can use this machine for MIG.
    So I am little bit confused now.Should I really now need to do a DC 90V - DC 30 V conversion ? How to check & make this a constant voltage source ?

Can you advice me on this ?

Thanks,

Regards
    John

4. johnraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Hi ,
    I am looking to control the output DC voltage ( 30 Volt ) & current ( 320 amps ) for my DC Welding Generator.
    Presently I have a rheostat in the field coil to control the Current .

I am looking to control the output for doing MIG welding.So I believe that I should be able to control the output voltage ( 0- 30 Volt ) & current ( 0 - 320 amps ) to set the output for MIG.

I would need some advice on this idea & share any circuits that I may use / refer for this setup ?

Thanks
    Regards
    John Raj