Control the 3 way valve

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by gamora, Apr 9, 2014.

1. gamora

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 23, 2013
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    A DC motor to control the Valve??
    This appears to be a Enerpac with a 120vac Universal motor, (that's another query)?
    Explain what you are trying to do, preferably in detail.
    The valve on the unit shows two way three position?
    Max.

3. gamora

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 23, 2013
    the model on the picture is what I have. The valve is actually manual 4 way 3 position valve. What I want to do is completely automate the system; having something with large torque turning the valve arm + microcontroller that will determine the position of the arm (or PID loop that will serve the same purpose). All of that will be output on the tablet and user will determine the direction of the valve and the current position of the arm. I am stuck on the very first step; automating the valve with anything. I can't find any info online.

4. burger2227

Feb 3, 2014
    Rotating what valve arm? There may be a pressure release valve.

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    It would sound as if you need a hydraulic proportional valve? Not a simple double acting?
    Max.

6. burger2227

Feb 3, 2014
    I have worked with them in a steel mill back in the day. Those things can lift 50 tons or more! The directional valve has a safety so that you cannot just switch directions once the cylinder is under load. Then the only way to lower the load is to release another valve that slowly opens as it is turned.

Hydraulics can be very dangerous, especially when you are altering a regulated device. I'd lump this subject with cars any day!

7. williamj

Sep 3, 2009
    To me the simplest way to do this would be to by pass the original valve and use appropriate solenoid valves with proper control circuitry.

shortbus likes this.