Control signals from USB to drive RC unit

RotatingEmu

Joined Jun 15, 2007
I am trying to use a PC to control a RC helicopter. I am going to use the RC unit transmitter and circuitry, but bypass the joysticks. Normally 2 joysticks control 4 potentiometers to give 4 signals out.

The signals vary between 0 and 5V. I have to find a way of providing these signals from the PC. I intend to use the USB port. Im not too sure about what language to use to construst the program on the PC.

From the USB port I think I will have to connect to some kind of driver circuit, and I'm wondering what would be the best design for this driver circuit.

Thanks!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Use the trainer cord input on the back of the transmitter like most of the many simulator programs use.

I had a very old flight simulator that used that and the serial port. The serial port may be an easier way to go, if your computer has one. More modern programs may use a USB port.

John

RotatingEmu

Joined Jun 15, 2007
yes, the trainer port works well to get data from the transmitter to the PC, but for this project I need to send data the other way. There is a small device that supposedly makes this easier called a PCTx, but It kinda makes it all too simple and I wont learn as much.