Control Relay from AC Source

yoyom

Joined Mar 6, 2013
I have a 5-Pin 30A relay, which I want to control from an AC 240V Source.

I have a transformer, 240 to 12VAC and this DC converter.

Problem is when I switch the power on, relay turns on and when I switch off its goes to back position, but on switching the power again the relay does not work. I have to remove the wires and then connect the wires, again it starts working.

What could be the problem? Relay works perfectly fine but only for the first time.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I suspect that your DC converter is ill-equipped to handle the inrush current of the relay. It works when you disconnect the wires because when you do this, it allows the caps in your DC converter to charge and when you connect the wires again, these caps discharge and overcome the switching current requirement, and then whatever is left over is enough to maintain the holding current requirement, but when you try to do it from the starting line, the DC converter is trying to charge the caps PLUS deliver the switching current, which over-exerts it, and thus FAIL. Maybe try a better "DC converter."

- disclaimer - I don't know what I'm talking about.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Forget about the DC converter & use a bridge rectifier followed by an electrolytic capacitor.

Without the cap,your DC relay will "chatter" as it tries to follow the ac ripple on the rectified DC.

The capacitor value is a bit "select on test",as too big a value will affect the release time (& to a lesser extent,the operate time) of your relay.
Too small a value,& your relay will "chatter" as described above.