Control Brush less DC motor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ifithegr8, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ifithegr8

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I am planing to use Atmega 16 to make a controller that controls the DC 35 Hp motor .Any any one has done?
    that would be a great help.
    Motor will be used for electric car
    My Idea is that generate PWM and use Mosfets after that and control motor .Will this work and do I have to use Mosfet drivers before Mosfets or using Microcontroller->NPN ->PNP ->controling mosfets

will help?

2. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Can you clarify your title? Is the motor you are using a BRUSHLESS DC motor, or simply a DC motor? It makes quite a bit of difference in the complexity of the drive.

3. scratch

Aug 6, 2010
    Sorry can't help u i am in similer boat have built Ev but hav no controller. wat volts do u plan to run at.
    What is atmega 16.

4. ifithegr8

Feb 5, 2010
    actually I am planing to make my own controller rather than Curtis Controller.Voltage that I may be looking for will around 72 or a bit more

5. ifithegr8

Feb 5, 2010
    so far I plan to use BLDC motor and I think that will be better for electric car

6. ifithegr8

Feb 5, 2010
    Please guide which one to use.

7. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    A brush type DC motor can be controlled by PWM of the power feeding it. (We won't even go into dynamic braking, etc as applied to an electric car) A BRUSHLESS DC motor requires much more sophisticated control in which to accomplish commutation of the typical 3 phases. There is a wealth of information on the web about BLDC control.