Control Agilent Real Time scope

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Ataleph, May 1, 2009.

1. Ataleph

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I have an Agilent real time scope (81304B) and want to control it remotely using PC and GPIB interface. I installed Agilent IO Libraries Suite on that PC but do not succeed to compile examples they give there. What I need is a full C/C++ or Perl (preferable) sample program, which connects to scope and does something simple (run/stop command etc.) including all source and header files needed (like sicl.h).
    If you have an idea what I am talking about, please, help!!!
    TNX.

2. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

Do you have all the GPIB drives installed? Also, be sure the GPIB port on the scope itself is enabled. I'm not real familiar with that particular scope, but some had a serial port control as well...so you have to be sure you aren't looking for signals on the serial port.

Eric

3. Ataleph

Apr 20, 2009
    I don't have a problem with connection itself - while using Interactive IO utility of Agilent IO Libraries Suite I do succeed to send commands and get replies from the instrument, but I want to know how to write C/C++ programs or Perl scripts in order to automate this process.

4. KL7AJ

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008

Ahh...well that's a horse of a different flavor. You're 4/5 of the way there, then.

I would beg borrow or steal an HP-IB book...any vintage. There are lots of programming examples in there. No point reinventing the wheel! (Well, actually there often is, but probably not in your case!)

Eric

5. Ataleph

Apr 20, 2009
    Tnx for reply Eric,
    Well Agilent provide its users with a very good documentation with good examples written on C/C++ and Visual Basic. The control commands that the scope understands are also very clear. What they don't give is a fully working project which includes all necessary IO files to get started and can be easily complied using Microsoft Visual Basic or any other compiler.