Control 240vac supply remotely

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by draw73, Nov 7, 2010.

1. draw73

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Hi first time poster and i was wondering if this was possible and if anyone could point in the right direction.
    I would like to do the following switch a 240vac socket on the ring main using a 24vdc pulse switched signal. As near to the socket as possible. Ideally that it will switch on and then stay on until it receives another signal.
    I think i may know what i need to do but i am not sure i know enough or fully understand so don't want to forge ahead without taking advice.

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    You can use a latch relay (with set/reset signals) which is controlled by 24VDC or you can use two ordinary relays to make a latch relay.
  3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    One question.

How well u know the dangers involved in mains voltage operated devices.

Unless u tell us these, the thread might be locked.
  4. draw73

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    It's for my electric underfloor heating.
    At the moment it's set up as follows 240v from the ring main up to the wall thermostat then back down to a wall socket which is connected to the ufh mat. I have 4 rooms like this.
    I have located a a central controller that can be programmed from a pc and connect with thermostats wirelessly. This outputs a 24vdc phased signal. Hence i would like to use this for ease and also to stop the kids fiddling with the thermostats. So that is why i would like to switch the wall supply sockets on remotely.

Does this make sense?