control 2 output voltage with one control loop

karas

Joined Sep 8, 2011
Any idea how we can control 2 output voltage and these voltages are isolated by one control loop, like flyback with 2 output and these output need to be regulated.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can't do that.
You can only regulate one of the outputs with the control loop.
Sometimes the second (unregulated) output is made to be a slightly higher voltage than desired and an LDO linear regulator is used to drop it to the desired voltage.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
Discontinuous mode flyback have the property the auxiliary outputs track the main (regulated) output fairly well between tightly coupled windings. But should still expect a 5% regulation tolerance.

karas

Joined Sep 8, 2011
You can't do that.
You can only regulate one of the outputs with the control loop.
Sometimes the second (unregulated) output is made to be a slightly higher voltage than desired and an LDO linear regulator is used to drop it to the desired voltage.
Is this circuit for control both output can work?
I miss vref in one of the error amp, both has negative vref
2-output.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Is this circuit for control both output can work?
I miss vref in one of the error amp, both has negative vref
The circuit would appear to work on the average voltage of the two outputs.
So neither output will be exactly regulated.
Is regulating to the average of the two output voltages sufficient for your purpose?

karas

Joined Sep 8, 2011
The circuit would appear to work on the average voltage of the two outputs.
So neither output will be exactly regulated.
Is regulating to the average of the two output voltages sufficient for your purpose?
so if the output 24 on each output the regulation could be 5%? I need my output to be 24+-5%.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
so if the output 24 on each output the regulation could be 5%? I need my output to be 24+-5%.
I don't know what the regulation would be.
It depends mainly upon the transformer output winding resistance and the relative current load difference between the two outputs.

Last edited:

karas

Joined Sep 8, 2011
I don't know what the regulation would be.
It depends mainly upon the transformer output winding resistance and the relative current load difference between the two outputs.
Can i use buck converter in both output ,so in this case i can control the 2 output, and is it is possible that efficiency will be more than 90%?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Can i use buck converter in both output ,so in this case i can control the 2 output, and is it is possible that efficiency will be more than 90%?
Certainly you can use two separate converters, but whether they are buck or not depends upon the input and output voltages.

The usual way is to have a secondary post-regulator fed from a voltage a little higher than the desired ouput.

The simplest would be a synchronized buck. Unitrode (now part of Texas Instruments) used to have controller ICs precisely for this application.

karas

Joined Sep 8, 2011
The usual way is to have a secondary post-regulator fed from a voltage a little higher than the desired ouput.

The simplest would be a synchronized buck. Unitrode (now part of Texas Instruments) used to have controller ICs precisely for this application.
Thanks so much, is good for 200W, i need two output each one 24Vdc .100w