Continuity PCB design help!!!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by emilj726, Jan 17, 2013.

1. emilj726

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    I am working on a Continuity type of PCB design.
    The basic idea is that I want to increase duty cycle on the PWM 250KHZ circuit when the 470pF cap touches a conductor.
    When Pin 3 of LM358 is higher than negative that means we are touching a plate, hence LED on.

can anybody suggest something?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. emilj726

Oct 1, 2010
    I guess no one has any suggestions.
    I just wanna know if there is better way that I can sense continuity to change the duty cycle on the square wave oscillator?

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    It hasn't even been an hour since your first post!

This is an international forum. People are sleeping while you are impatiently "waiting".

A 555 can do this much easier....

Though... so can a wire.... continuity is either there or not... unless you are trying for resistance, two terminals that complete a circuit when shorted is a continuity checker.

4. emilj726

Oct 1, 2010
    I'm sorry I should have named the thread differently.
    I have to use capacitive coupling because I need a analog out.
    Capacitance proportional to conductor diameter. The highter the capacitance the thicker the cable. the higher the capacitance the bigger the duty cycle.

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    you are using PWM, a digital output. If you pass this through a low-pass filter, you'll get an analog output...
    If you are dealing with the circular cross-section...

Your RC oscillator will vary with temperature, which will throw your measurements off...
    You voltage divider to create your voltage reference will also change quite a bit with both changing temperature and supply voltage...

6. emilj726

Oct 1, 2010
    I guess I am just wondering if anyone has any idea of how I can change the duty cycle of the circuit that I posted based on making contact with a conductor via capacitance coupling?

Thanks!