Constant voltage on latching relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foulkesey

Joined May 8, 2015
Hi guys,
Hope you can help me. Forgive me, i am an electrician i can follow diagrams but i have trouble designing anything ELV. I will start with what i have and want, then what i think i need but wether it will work i have no idea!

I am trying to have my wing mirrors fold automatically and have bought a plug and play module for this.

I have an existing 3 postion switch, fold, auto and unfold however the module i have got does not leave the mirrors in the outward position as the module uses the central locking trigger to always fold the mirrors. The switch does not have voltage once ignition is off hence the latching relay.

My plan is to install a dual coil latching relay. S1 to be activated by 12 volts from unfold position and s2 to be activated by 12 v from auto position. The trigger cable would then be in NC contacts. So when the switch is in unfold position the trigger is interrupted.

My initial thought was to use a timer delay but if i hit the switch by accident i cannot reset untill the timer has run its course.

My question with this is that the switch has voltage at all times when the ignition is on. But i need the latching relay to continue its operation once the ignition is off. Will a latching relay handle constant voltage 98% of its life?

I'd be greatful for your help and any other ideas you have.
Cheers guys
Joe

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Welcome to the AAC forum.

The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Terms of Service (ToS).

Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
LEDs to mains
Phone jammers
Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies
Terms of Service (ToS).

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ .

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.